What are you listening to?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Dream Sphere wrote:I just listened to the song I take my forum-name after called "Dreamsphere (Return to the Chaos)" by the band Sigh.
I really like this song. I've listened to it several times now. 8-)
Dream Sphere wrote:I know most of the well known Heavy Metal bands like Iron Maiden, Satan, Demon, Saxon, Manowar etc. but haven't really found too much underground or recent Heavy Metal yet.

My top ten is probably

1.Sigh 2.Blind Guardian 3.Absu 4.Manegarm 5.Necrophagia 6.Nocte Obducta 7.Transcending Bizarre? 8.Forefather 9.Kalmah 10.Vreid
I've only recently started to listen to metal music (the VBMC was the one who first got me interested). I like most genres of music but never really investigated metal a whole lot. Now I realize that I've been missing out. Lately I've been listening to Slayer, Emperor, and Dimmu Borgir (they're quite good). I'd like to investigate all of the bands that you mentioned, as well as those that Metalized mentioned in his introduction thread. I am especially curious to explore the work of Sigh.

Dream Sphere, do you listen to Forever Dawn (the VBMC's band)? My favorite Forever Dawn songs are "Man Made Machine" and "The Immensity of Darkness." :twisted:

To any Black Metal fans on this forum, I recommend going on to YouTube, subscribing to "foreverdawnband" and listening to all of the songs! :D
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I actually haven't heard VBMC's band Forever Dawn yet, but I will try to get to it pretty soon. I listened to one of the episodes he made for VBMC, and it was good, I think it was episode 19. It sounded pretty good, despite the restrictions there would be in having some humor mixed in, and it being developed around his unique cooking show concept, which might potentially make it difficult in creating interesting melody/structure, due to the unusual restrictions. So, to hear a band where he doesn't have those restrictions, and is free to focus more of his creativity on the song itself, definitely sounds like something worth checking out.

Of the three metal bands you've said to be listening to lately. I would recommend if you haven't yet (I assume you've heard one of the albums from this era at least.) to listen to the first five Slayer albums. Especially their 3rd; Reign in Blood, 4th; South of Heaven, and 5th; Seasons in the Abyss. I haven't enjoyed much of Slayer's recent output, but since people of course have different tastes and I've seen some people who love their recent output, I'd recommend giving their three most recent albums a glance, as well as maybe their other 90's albums a quick peek as well, though their first five are the only ones I'd consider essential.

For Emperor I'm really only familiar with their first couple albums, of which many people start with them on, and which are both considered their classics. My favourite is their second called Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, so I'd recommend hearing that if you've only heard In the Nightside Eclipse so far.

For Dimmu Borgir, I'm not too familiar with them, despite them being a gateway black metal band, and my knowledge of black metal being pretty extensive. I liked the single song I heard from them called "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse," though. So, as usual, if you haven't heard it yet in your explorations of those bands, I would recommend checking it out.

Sigh is my favourite band, and I love pretty much their whole discography, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to give specific recommendations to people. So, I guess I'll list all of their main albums; each with a short description of what to expect from each, to give you an idea on which ones might appeal to you more.

Scorn Defeat, their debut album, and probably most pure black metal, though not quite pure black metal, as there are some touches of doom metal, and symphonic influence here and there. It's one of my least favourites of theirs, but still quite enjoyable. Some of my top tracks from the album are; "Ready For the Final War" which is a kinda long song, with some slower doomy/plodding parts, and some faster black metal tremolo riff parts. There's "Gundali", which heavily uses keyboard in the form of an Organ like sound, plus there's good drums, and both together with the vocals makes a good doomy interlude in the album, I don't think there's any guitar present. "A Victory of Dakini" has some catchy/doomy/black metal riffs. "At My Funeral" has some pretty interesting sections, too.

Infidel Art has a larger emphasis on synths, and in many cases utilizes them by making melodies akin to those found in romantic era classical. There's a larger doom metal presence as well as some asian-folk influence in some parts, too. "Izuna" is quite interesting, and it's structure kinda takes you on a journey, with a variety of different interesting melodies, throughout. It has a fair amount of classical influence, but also some doomyness. "The Zombie Terror" is another one of my favourites, it has a good doomy groove to many of its riffs throughout its duration, and some clean yet eerie vocals help add to the atmosphere, which I'm assuming they had been aiming for, for the song, which worked out quite well. "My Desolation" is a cool doomy and very atmospheric kinda slow song, you may need to be in a certain mood for it. "Suicidogenic" is the shortest song on the album, and has an interesting intro, which soon breaks off into some thrashier styled riffs.

Ghastly Funeral Theatre is the album (technically an EP) where they really started to go Avant-garde. There's some jazz mixed into some of the songs, like the first song after the intro. One of my favourites is "Doman Seman" which has a nice folk melody to a fair amount of its duration, but has some other parts which keep it more interesting. "Imiuta" is an interesting synth and piano piece, that has some interesting experimentation on the piano mixed in the middle of the song. "Shikigami" like the two other more normal songs on here has a larger influence of heavy metal like riffing that works well with the black metal, and avant-garde styles. Similar to the first song after the intro, it has a kinda bluesy and doom metal vibe to it as well.

Hail Horror Hail is one of my favourite albums of theirs and probably could be considered as experimental or maybe a bit more so than Ghastly Funeral Theatre. Some of the songs vary quite a bit in their general sound, but pretty much all of the album has a kinda dark mysterious horror movie like atmosphere which is pretty interesting. The title-track which opens the album is pretty rocking and straightforward, with interesting guitar licks, and some good rocking rhythmic riffs. "12 Souls" is a very good, scary, atmospheric song, with some parts having some very interesting synths and drums with some added samples to emphasize the atmosphere. Some heavy, menacing riffs are also present in the song, as well as an atmospheric/avant-garde break in the song, which didn't at first click with me, but it later really grew on me. "Curse of Izanagi" is a song that is pretty rocking, and thrashy, some parts kinda similar to Slayer, but with some other interesting parts too. "Seed of Eternity" utilizes synths and other instruments to create a great doomy/epic atmosphere which closes the album exceptionally.

Scenario IV: Dread Dreams has many songs with a general heavy metal + black metal styled riffing structure. "Infernal Cries" is an interesting fast paced, somewhat dissonant song. "Diabolic Suicide" uses disco influences in an interesting way, similar to some songs from the previous album. "Black Curse" is a favourite from this album, and has a very good doomy atmosphere which is creates well with doomy riffs, synths, and such. "Iconoclasm in the 4th Desert" is also a highlight from this album, though this album is one of their less consistent ones, to my taste. There are some songs on this album with cleanly sung atmospheric female vocals.

Imaginary Sonicscape is one of my favourites of theirs, and also one of their most accessible. It has many songs with heavy metal styled riffs like the album opener "Corpse Cry - Angel Fall." One of the things present on this album which was much less prevalent on earlier albums of theirs is the amount of psychedelic music influence they have on songs from this album. There's a fair amount of electronic music influence on this album too. I would also say pretty much all these songs are about equal in quality, so basically it's very consistent, and highly enjoyable throughout, despite some songs being fairly different. Also, this album kinda stepped up the level of avant-garde-ness they were putting into their music. This album also has some of those female vocals, plus the final song has a male opera singer as a guest.

Gallows Gallery is a pretty big change. There's still a fair amount of avant-garde in there being a fair amount of jazz and psychedelic influence on songs, but there's basically zero harsh black metal like vocals, and instead a kinda odd, atmospheric multi-layered asian power metal type vocal style on this album, with extra emphasis on its oddness, and it may not be executed as technically proficiently as some people would like. I don't mind it, and have come to like it a lot in some cases. Many of the songs have a larger emphasis on a power metal/heavy metal type of riffing, and many of the songs are more consistently fast paced compared to previous albums of theirs, though some songs are slower of course.

Hangman's Hymn is pretty cool. It's kinda a concept album which heavily features Mozart style classical, pretty much taken from Mozart's Requiem composition. Many of the songs have either thrashy, or heavy metal like guitar. There's also a fair usage of a number of layered harsh vocals in different pitches, which is kinda interesting. Some clean vocals are around, but they aren't the dominant style, and the cleans are more similar to clean Sigh vocals of the past like from Infidel Art, in how they're kinda more atmospheric "oooohhhs", and such. This is one of my least favoured albums in their discography.

Scenes From Hell has quite a heavy sound. There's quite a bit of brass horn instrument usage, as well as some interesting symphony string instruments. This is their first album to feature Dr. Mikannibal who sings and plays the saxophone on their albums. She has a lower death metal type of vocals, which are different to Mirai's higher raspy black metal vocals. This album is one of my favourites of theirs, and most of the songs are very high quality. Also, if I didn't mention it enough, many of these songs are very heavy, but not many of them are slow, though some are.

In Somniphobia is another favourite of mine. It has a strong prog rock emphasis to many of the songs, as well as a strong sense of jazz influence to them as well. Of course other songs have other influences like "Fall to the Thrall" which has some classical influence, but I'm running short on time, since I need to go to bed soon, so I'll leave it at that.

I was planning to suggest to you some other bands, but I've got to go to bed now, so I'll edit this post probably in the afternoon/evening of tomorrow with added info, or if you reply to this, I may just put that in my reply to your reply instead.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Wow that was a long post from you! :o I'm flattered that you had the patience to create such a long response for me. I'll look into your recommendations. :)
Dream Sphere wrote:I actually haven't heard VBMC's band Forever Dawn yet, but I will try to get to it pretty soon. I listened to one of the episodes he made for VBMC, and it was good, I think it was episode 19.
Episode 19: Frostbitten Foods From Beyond. Wasn't it brilliant!? Hilarious episode, especially the last 22 seconds:

"The summer rolls look amazing and feel like a fleshy condom! Dip your condom roll in peanut sauce and complete your corruption at VeganBlackMetalChef.coooooooooommm!!!"

HAHAHA!! I was dying with laughter by the end! :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

I'm dying to make those summer rolls with peanut sauce, and devour their very essence! :twisted: :lol:
Dream Sphere wrote:Of the three metal bands you've said to be listening to lately. I would recommend if you haven't yet (I assume you've heard one of the albums from this era at least.) to listen to the first five Slayer albums. Especially their 3rd; Reign in Blood, 4th; South of Heaven, and 5th; Seasons in the Abyss. I haven't enjoyed much of Slayer's recent output, but since people of course have different tastes and I've seen some people who love their recent output, I'd recommend giving their three most recent albums a glance, as well as maybe their other 90's albums a quick peek as well, though their first five are the only ones I'd consider essential.

For Emperor I'm really only familiar with their first couple albums, of which many people start with them on, and which are both considered their classics. My favourite is their second called Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, so I'd recommend hearing that if you've only heard In the Nightside Eclipse so far.
I'd like to investigate those albums at some point soon.
Dream Sphere wrote:Sigh is my favourite band, and I love pretty much their whole discography, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to give specific recommendations to people. So, I guess I'll list all of their main albums; each with a short description of what to expect from each, to give you an idea on which ones might appeal to you more.
I already like Sigh very much. I'll definitely look into their music more in great detail. Imaginary Sonicscape is a great album. I've listened to all of its songs and my favorite is most definitely Dreamsphere (Return to the Chaos), so good choice of a username. I also like A Sunset Song, Impromptu, Bring Back the Dead, and Nostalgia. I'd say that Nostalgia is my second-favorite song of the album.

I feel that I now have a choice to make as I embark upon my metal journey:
1. Listen to all of the songs of every album by Sigh, or...
2. Investigate the other metal bands.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:Wow that was a long post from you! :o I'm flattered that you had the patience to create such a long response for me. I'll look into your recommendations. :)
Dream Sphere wrote:I actually haven't heard VBMC's band Forever Dawn yet, but I will try to get to it pretty soon. I listened to one of the episodes he made for VBMC, and it was good, I think it was episode 19.
Episode 19: Frostbitten Foods From Beyond. Wasn't it brilliant!? Hilarious episode, especially the last 22 seconds:

"The summer rolls look amazing and feel like a fleshy condom! Dip your condom roll in peanut sauce and complete your corruption at VeganBlackMetalChef.coooooooooommm!!!"

HAHAHA!! I was dying with laughter by the end! :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

I'm dying to make those summer rolls with peanut sauce, and devour their very essence! :twisted: :lol:
I think my favourite line was the one about how "the fried garlic seems to laaaaaast foreeeveeeeeerrrrrrr," since it was a pretty good, witty parody of how "cheesy" some black metal lyrics can be.

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
Dream Sphere wrote:Of the three metal bands you've said to be listening to lately. I would recommend if you haven't yet (I assume you've heard one of the albums from this era at least.) to listen to the first five Slayer albums. Especially their 3rd; Reign in Blood, 4th; South of Heaven, and 5th; Seasons in the Abyss. I haven't enjoyed much of Slayer's recent output, but since people of course have different tastes and I've seen some people who love their recent output, I'd recommend giving their three most recent albums a glance, as well as maybe their other 90's albums a quick peek as well, though their first five are the only ones I'd consider essential.

I'd like to investigate those albums at some point soon.
Dream Sphere wrote:Sigh is my favourite band, and I love pretty much their whole discography, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to give specific recommendations to people. So, I guess I'll list all of their main albums; each with a short description of what to expect from each, to give you an idea on which ones might appeal to you more.
I already like Sigh very much. I'll definitely look into their music more in great detail. Imaginary Sonicscape is a great album. I've listened to all of its songs and my favorite is most definitely Dreamsphere (Return to the Chaos), so good choice of a username. I also like A Sunset Song, Impromptu, Bring Back the Dead, and Nostalgia. I'd say that Nostalgia is my second-favorite song of the album.

I feel that I now have a choice to make as I embark upon my metal journey:
1. Listen to all of the songs of every album by Sigh, or...
2. Investigate the other metal bands.

It might be worth just checking out both new bands and Sigh, in around the same time, instead of focusing it all on one or the other. Of course, just go with what you're finding you have been enjoying more, but I think it would be worth checking out some other bands soon too.

Imaginary Sonicscape is probably one of their most accessible albums, and normally with someone who's just getting into Sigh I would recommend one of their other really accessible albums like Gallows Gallery, or In Somniphobia, but since you said you've been getting into albums by Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, I would guess you could probably have a pretty good experience with any of Sigh's albums.

If you aren't familiar with the metal-archives website, you should check it out, because it has a lot of information on many metal bands who may not have much or any info on wikipedia or other online sources. Here's Sigh's metal-archives page. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sigh/51

So, were you to decide you would rather try out some other bands in the metal genre, could you possibly give me an idea of what sub-genres you would like to explore?

There's power metal, which is very melodic and harmonious, and also typically has a kind of singing which is quite technically proficient and maybe could be often regarded as operatic. This genre is also typically more upbeat and cheerful sounding compared to other metal sub-genres, though not all power metal is that way. Some notable bands in this sub-genre are Blind Guardian, Lost Horizon, Persuader, Angra, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody of Fire, and Demons & Wizards among a fair number of other bands.

Traditional heavy metal is a sub-genre which was one of metal's earliest styles. Traditional heavy metal is one of the primary sub-genres which led to power metal, which kinda expanded on heavy metal's melodic nature. So, trad-heavy metal is pretty accessible, too, typically. A very iconic band from this sub-genre would be Iron Maiden, which I would guess you would at least be a tiny bit familiar with. Satan, who released the albums Court in the Act, and Life Sentence, is another noteworthy band in this sub-genre

Thrash metal is another sub-genre. The most popular and recognizable metal band in the world; Metallica, helped pioneer the genre with their first four albums. They later went on to a kind of heavy metal/thrash metal mix on their self-titled 5th album, and their two other albums in the 90's were a kind of bluesy hard rock/heavy metal with some other influences. Their 00's albums were kind of a mix of heavy metal, with their '08 album; Death Magnetic having more thrash metal in the mix than their '03 album; St Anger, which wasn't well received by most people. Metallica's first four albums are kinda essential, and the three afterwards are probably worthy of a listen, though despite Metallica's acclaim, they're one of the thrash metal bands I'm not very wild about, though I still like a fair amount of their stuff quite a bit. Other notable thrash metal bands are the other three of the 'american big four of thrash metal' of which are Slayer which you already know, Anthrax; which I don't really care for, and Megadeth; which made some good albums but hasn't been too interesting in recent years. Like Metallica, Megadeth's best albums are also their first four, but their first two 90's albums are also pretty decent. Their '04 album; The System Has Failed is also pretty good, and the two which followed that album may also appeal to you, since those albums had gone back to Megadeth's more thrashy sound if you're into that.

There's also the 'big three of German thrash metal' which is Sodom; who are pretty consistent, though maybe a little mediocre at times depending on the album, a couple good ones from them are Persecution Mania, and Agent Orange. Then there's Destruction, which made some classic thrash metal albums in the 80's, though I'm not very familiar with them. Then finally there's Kreator, which had a pretty good run of albums before they started releasing albums which weren't very well received. Kreator's albums Pleasure to Kill, and Coma of Souls are probably their most iconic albums, but I also like their album called Terrible Certainty quite a bit. There's a large number of other good thrash metal bands like Overkill; who made some classic stuff in the 80's, but which has also had a pretty good three album streak so far in this decade, starting with 2010's Ironbound. There's Testament who've made some quite melodic thrash metal, but have also semi recently released an album while retaining its melody, had death metal influences in it, which was released in 2012, and was called Dark Roots of Earth. There's also some technical thrash metal bands like Coroner, Voivod, and Vektor whom are also worth checking out.

There's also doom metal, which has often been fused with other sub-genres of metal. There's stuff like death/doom, and other styles which kinda mix doom metal with folk and black metal. Some of Black Sabbath's stuff could be considered doom metal, like much of their debut self-titled album, though Black Sabbath is also known for having a kinda heavy metal sound. Black Sabbath is typically described as the first real metal band, instead of bands like Deep Purple, and Blue Cheer who are typically considered as proto-metal or hard rock. Another noteworthy band is Candlemass which helped pioneer the epic doom metal sub-genre which is almost like if doom metal had met opera or had been partially mixed with power metal. Then there's death/doom, and probably two of the most iconic bands in this sub-genre (though who went off into more of a gothic inspired metal route, though I think they did eventually return to their roots) are the bands Paradise Lost, and My Dying Bride. I've found I like Paradise Lost's music more consistently than MDB, because I find while some of MDB's albums are very good for the most part, often the "cheesy" clean vocals ruin it for me. There's also a band called Uaral who are from Chile, which mixes death, black, and doom metal with their native folk music, and it works out quite well in my opinion. Their second album, which was their last one has much less metal influence, though, their first was maybe only 50% metal anyways, due to the large prevalence of folk music. The two albums are still excellent, though.

Then there's death metal, one of the main sub-genres which the 'extreme metal' blanket term is used for. Death metal has done a lot of branching off, after its origination in being developed as an even more extreme style than thrash metal. Some of the original pioneering death metal bands are Necrophagia, Death, Morbid Angel, and Bolt Thrower. There's also stuff like melodic death metal, and progressive or technical death metal, but I won't get into that unless you're curious, as I don't want to leave too large a wall of text.

Then there's black metal, which while some of its fans and bands like to keep black metal as 'pure and unchanged' as possible, many other bands in the genre are some of the most experimental bands in the metal genre. Black metal also originated around the same time as death metal in the late 80's, and which grew from the base of thrash metal, and both the black metal and death metal scenes sort of fed of each other for inspiration through the late 80's into the early 90's until they were pretty distinctly different from each other by the early-mid 90's. The first-wave of black metal is basically the first bands who could be considered pioneers of the genre but maybe didn't quite have that fully developed, iconic second-wave of black metal sound. Some iconic first-wave of black metal bands are, Bathory; who was probably the first to really get the sound, and whom also developed the viking metal sound of folk mixed with black metal. Then there's also Celtic Frost, and also the band Mayhem who started out with a more first-wave of black metal sound, but which by 1994 came out with an iconic second wave of black metal album. Then some second wave of black metal bands are bands like Burzum, Gorgoroth, Immortal, Emperor, and a number of others whom I haven't mentioned. Most of those bands haven't strayed very far from their original sound, though that's really only in comparison to the more experimental black metal bands, and even the ones I mentioned earlier had made some noteworthy changes over their careers.

There's more I would've liked to add, but I'm gonna have to leave it at this for now.
Sakana

Post by Sakana »

Soilwork - one of my fav. bands. I listen mostly to melodic death metal, or whatever this genre is called. Other than that I like classic rock from the 60's-80's
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

This podcast about the relationship between a vegan animal rights activist and a factory farmer:
https://soundcloud.com/upvoted/013-one-farmers-fight

The video they discuss is actually quite interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=59&v=YE9l94b3x9U
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Foster the people, the flaming lips, air, the cure, soko

And the good old stuff like
Beatles, Dylan, REM
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
ChipDipSM

Post by ChipDipSM »

Dear God, by XTC
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Hey, ArmouredAbolitionist, I know you showed an interest in Sigh a little while ago and I was wondering if you had heard their newest album which came out about a week ago in North America (it had come out elsewhere about a month ago) called Graveward? Here's the album uploaded by Sigh's current record label on bandcamp -- http://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.c ... /graveward -- I think the album is one of my favourites of theirs, though more than half their discography to me is almost perfect, this one lives up to the better half of their stuff, and it's quite interesting, with a good atmospheric synth/horror vibe to a lot of the songs in a similar but still unique way to some stuff they've done before. There's also quite a bit of jazz/psychedelic, black/thrash/heavy metal, and technical progressive type metal with some folk and other stuff also interspersed in it, but in a very cohesive, consistent way that really fits the album's theme.

(A note for anyone else who may be interested in checking out the album. Since I feel ArmouredAbolitionist probably wouldn't have issues with the lyrics and could tolerate them, due to their expression of liking various Metal with 'doomy' and possibly upsetting lyrics, I hadn't thought to warn anyone else earlier of lyrics that may be upsetting given a person's own situation, but for those who would like to avoid upsetting lyrics I feel I should inform that the album deals with some doomy existential subject matter, some themes of fear/insanity/paranoia, as well as horror movie like themes.)
metalized

Post by metalized »

Dream Sphere wrote: Then finally there's Kreator, which had a pretty good run of albums before they started releasing albums which weren't very well received. Kreator's albums Pleasure to Kill, and Coma of Souls are probably their most iconic albums, but I also like their album called Terrible Certainty quite a bit.
Bonus for Kreator: Mille is a vegan :)
I adore Kreator, Extreme Aggressions is my favourite probably. Their later albums are also amazing if you are open minded. It is just a bit different.

Right now I am listening to DBC (Dead Brain Cells) a technical thrash metal from Canada, they sound a bit like Voivod. Awesome band.

I love all sorts of metal, especially progressive metal, Fates Warning are amongst my favourite bands.