What are the worst YouTube channels you have ever seen?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Volenta
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: What are the worst YouTube channels you have ever seen?

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote:I dislike AmazingAtheist and MrRepzion, also the raw food vegan channels are pretty bad.
I agree. AmazingAtheist sometimes seems to be okay, but I'm generally not really amused by it.
miniboes wrote:Some of my favorite youtube channels;
[...]
- Veritasium
- Vsauce
I'm a big fan of these kind of channels. I can also recommend you AsapScience, MinutePhysics, It's Okay To Be Smart, BrainCraft, and a bit more nerdy channels like Sixty Symbols, Numberphile, Computerphile.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

AsapScience is on my shit list after their "plant intelligence" video. They seem to care more about views and being edgy than being accurate.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

brimstoneSalad wrote:AsapScience is on my shit list after their "plant intelligence" video. They seem to care more about views and being edgy than being accurate.
I have to give you this one. They certainly love to entertain the crowd, while not always being quite accurate/careful. Promoting eating insects instead of—and basically ignoring—real ecological alternatives was another thing that bugged ( :lol: ) me. It's quite clear to me that they did so for sensational reasons.

On the plant intelligence thing. They basically redefined the word 'intelligence' to fit their needs, and it seemed people in comment section were totally taken in by it (or just liked to poke fun). They made some other errors in their word choices as well, but there wasn't much wrong with it content-wise, right?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:
miniboes wrote:I'm a big fan of these kind of channels. I can also recommend you AsapScience, MinutePhysics, It's Okay To Be Smart, BrainCraft, and a bit more nerdy channels like Sixty Symbols, Numberphile, Computerphile.
I am subscribed to the first three and numberphile. Not a big fan of Brady's other channels.

Asapscience is indeed fairly inaccurate.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Volenta wrote:I have to give you this one. They certainly love to entertain the crowd, while not always being quite accurate/careful.
I call it Asappseudoscience. Bad science, in my view, does more harm than good. Blech, I hate yellow journalism.
Volenta wrote:They made some other errors in their word choices as well, but there wasn't much wrong with it content-wise, right?
I wouldn't bet on it, but it really doesn't matter.

It's perfectly possible to lie with true facts by citing them in a deceptive context to trick people, like when the meat industry says cows are responsible for something like 2% of greenhouse gas.
Yes, that's probably true, and that it's over 16% of global warming, which they choose not to mention, since methane is much more potent than CO2.

Using words incorrectly is a powerful way to do that.

Did you know Clinton never had sexual relations with that woman? It's true. If you define sexual relations in a very narrow and specific way.

You can make anything true by bending words far enough.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I honestly don't really understand how it went from worst youtube channels to why AsapScience sucks, but y'know, whatever...
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:I honestly don't really understand how it went from worst youtube channels to why AsapScience sucks, but y'know, whatever...
We always go off topic as it keeps the discussion going.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:I honestly don't really understand how it went from worst youtube channels to why AsapScience sucks, but y'know, whatever...
You can request a topic split by filling out the form in chapter 9, section 4 of the user manual; it's included on pages 82-95 of that subsection. Follow the instructions in subsection C, which includes the mailing address to submit the form along with the $4.35 processing fee.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I'm not a big fan of The Amazing Atheist. He's a bit anti-intellectual, and spends far too much time complaining about Jason Beeber or whatever, and repeatedly promising not to talk about it anymore.
He does have 20 videos in his "The Justin Bieber Sucks Playlist", but 977 videos total. He also has a vlog channel with 296 videos, and only one with Justin Bieber in the title.

Why do you think he is anti-intellectual?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

EquALLity wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:I'm not a big fan of The Amazing Atheist. He's a bit anti-intellectual, and spends far too much time complaining about Jason Beeber or whatever, and repeatedly promising not to talk about it anymore.
He does have 20 videos in his "The Justin Bieber Sucks Playlist", but 977 videos total. He also has a vlog channel with 296 videos, and only one with Justin Bieber in the title.
Yeah, 20 videos is still a lot. The fact that it is 1% of his videos does not change that.
EquALLity wrote:Why do you think he is anti-intellectual?
I can't answer for brimstone, but his arguments are often not rational at all and he does not seem to care either. For example, during the DP podcast he watched VA's VS video and just shook off all his fallacious arguments without feeling the need to provide better ones or admit he's wrong at all.
- David Frum