Do people consider you strange?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Insert name here

Do people consider you strange?

Post by Insert name here »

I am curious to know if any of you are considered strange by those around you, I know that my family thinks that I am strange because I habitually pace back and forth. My brother also thinks that I am strange (And horrible) for not caring about family relation, what I mean by that is that I don't care if someone is related to me or not, I focus more on who they are, which is somehow awful. On a more subtle note, I am strange because I, well, hare a bit of an affinity for skull shapes. It is the weirdest thing ever, but I am constantly deciding whether or not someone is astheticaly pleasing based upon skull shape (specifically the jawline.) This spawns forth an important question. What the actual Fuck is wrong with me? :|
Insert signature here.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Do people consider you strange?

Post by Jebus »

Yes, but only after they find out I don't wear or eat animal products. I am the only vegan most people here have ever met or heard of so they assume that it is some type of mental disorder.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
ChipDipSM

Post by ChipDipSM »

I know a few people think I'm strange because I chew on stuff a lot, including my thumb.

When I was a child there was a multitude of reasons that people, mostly family, thought I was strange. Among them was preferring fruit to candy, crying from the death of fictional characters, chewing on my thumb, my love of science fiction, not believing in Santa Clause, stuff like that.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

I also have have a habit of pacing for not particular reason. I also cop a bunch of flack for it. I don't think gaining aesthetic pleasure from jaw lines is any more or less strange than other source (excluding those that are genetically engrained into us.)

As for me my quirks are many, and people are always calling me strange for them. mainly furry. :D
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

bobo0100 wrote:I also have have a habit of pacing for not particular reason
ChipDipSM wrote:I know a few people think I'm strange because I chew on stuff a lot, including my thumb
Here's a blunt question: Why not stop doing such things? The stereotype that vegans are weird certainly doesn't help our cause. I think it's important that we (vegans) try to eliminate unnecessary habits that are considered strange and unusual by most people.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'd tend to agree with Jebus there,

Pacing is actually healthy, but try to do it where people can't see you, or just find somewhere to walk in a straight line. If it's early morning or evening, try going outside.

The chewing on stuff is a bad habit, and it's one that's hard to break because it's usually unconscious. If you feel you need to, I'd say buy a dedicated doodad to chew on to spare your thumb or other people's things.
ChipDipSM

Post by ChipDipSM »

brimstoneSalad wrote:The chewing on stuff is a bad habit, and it's one that's hard to break because it's usually unconscious. If you feel you need to, I'd say buy a dedicated doodad to chew on to spare your thumb or other people's things.
I don't chew on other people's stuff and it's not like I chew through flesh or anything.
Jebus wrote:Here's a blunt question: Why not stop doing such things? The stereotype that vegans are weird certainly doesn't help our cause. I think it's important that we (vegans) try to eliminate unnecessary habits that are considered strange and unusual by most people.
I had replaced it for a while by smoking, but I gave that up for obvious reasons. And honestly, I've built my life up to the point of not caring what other's think, if it's negative, and don't like the idea of changing myself to be accepted.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
maxeemindee

Post by maxeemindee »

Jebus wrote:
bobo0100 wrote:I also have have a habit of pacing for not particular reason
ChipDipSM wrote:I know a few people think I'm strange because I chew on stuff a lot, including my thumb
Here's a blunt question: Why not stop doing such things? The stereotype that vegans are weird certainly doesn't help our cause. I think it's important that we (vegans) try to eliminate unnecessary habits that are considered strange and unusual by most people.
I have never heard such a stereotype that vegans are weird. I actually think that it might be hurtful to call his habits unnecessary and strange. If you consider your self a rational person then you should at least realize that your words could be hurtful instead of helpful. Why do you think that it is important that people should try to eliminate supposedly strange habits? I think these assertions of yours relates to one topic that you created that addresses another so-called stereotype of vegans. If you consider yourself rational, you should realize that people should not have to change their benign habits such as pacing or chewing pencils for any reason at all. I would also like to address your other stereotype once more because it is similar to this one, vegans should not have to fit into society's standards of "healthy looking", especially if they are in good health. Please feel free to address any weaknesses in my argument.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

I'm going to have to agree with "insert name here" because confirmation bias is not that symple. You will hear the stereotype "vegans are new aged hippies" and being in that particular way will confirm that stereotype. How oftern do you hear "vegans pace a lot"? I personally haven't. But it agree that some behaviours should not be encouraged or should be discuruged in order the aid in misconceptions about vegans. Packing is not one of them.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

maxeemindee wrote:If you consider yourself rational, you should realize that people should not have to change their benign habits such as pacing or chewing pencils for any reason at all. I would also like to address your other stereotype once more because it is similar to this one, vegans should not have to fit into society's standards of "healthy looking", especially if they are in good health. Please feel free to address any weaknesses in my argument.
"Should not" why? In an ideal world, where everybody was completely rational and reasonable and used science based standards for everything, sure. But we don't live in that world.
Irrational perceptions and stereotypes color people's views of veganism, and that in turn (despite rational arguments for veganism) may cause them to reject it. Even something as trivial as having a bad fashion sense. In order to best spread, veganism has to be the "in" thing, represented as popular, cool, sexy. Movie stars do a good job at that, but average people can contribute to that too.

ChipDipSM wrote:I don't chew on other people's stuff and it's not like I chew through flesh or anything.
It's unsanitary. When people get saliva on their fingers, they inevitably spread it to the things they touch, usually unknowingly. Also, it introduces a number of pathogens into your own body in the process.

There's a pretty good reason people find it gross.
ChipDipSM wrote:I had replaced it for a while by smoking, but I gave that up for obvious reasons. And honestly, I've built my life up to the point of not caring what other's think, if it's negative, and don't like the idea of changing myself to be accepted.
Buy a large silicone teething ring, or some other baby chewing toy. Cut it so the cross-section is lollipop shaped, put a little hole in it, and jam a lollipop stick into it.
Optionally, you can buy some food grade silicone caulk from an aquarium supply store or online, with which to make Oogoo (with food coloring), and put it in a mold of appropriate size (probably a smooth cap of some kind), with the stick poking out of it (cut a hole or slit in the side so it comes out right).
Nobody will know you aren't chewing on a piece of candy, and you won't get saliva on your fingers. You'll just be that guy who always has a sucker. Carry some real suckers around that look the same to share.

That way, you'll be quirky (weird in a good way), but not gross.

If you don't know how to make it, I'll help you with detailed instructions. It's pretty easy.
It can be sterilized in boiling water by microwaving.