Immoral/Crazy Bible Verses - Whats your favourite?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Immoral/Crazy Bible Verses - Whats your favourite?

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Released a new video series today entitled Crazy Shit the Bible Says #1
http://youtu.be/RrWslruLvPo

In this new series I choose 3 bible verses to critique. If you have a bible verse(s) in mind that you would like me to address in a future video, let me know Book, Chapter and verse.

Thanks, hope you enjoy the videos.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Re: New Series: Crazy Shit the Bible Says - Help needed

Post by Neptual »

Here are three good ones

"I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over man; she is to keep silent" 1 Timothy 2:12

Exodus 32:14
"And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourself every girl who has never slept with a man." (Numbers 31:17-18)
She's beautiful...
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

One of my 'favourite' quotes from the Bible:
'Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.' (1 Peter 2:18)
It's actually scary. It seems almost like a troll wrote this..
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
pizza
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by pizza »

Numbers 15:32-36, Colossians 3:18, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, 2 Samuel 12:13-14, Exodus 32:27-28, Exodus 32:35, Leviticus 10:1-3
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Immoral/Crazy Bible Verses - Whats your favourite?

Post by Red »

I've read in Corinthians that Women aren't allowed to speak in Church.
1 Corinthians 14:34-35:
Let your women keep silent in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
I never fully understood the religious concept of men being superior to women. It just goes over my head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Hans

Post by Hans »

Numbers 15:32-36:

While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation. 34 They put him in custody, because it had not been made clear what should be done to him. 35 And the LORD said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 And all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as the LORD commanded Moses.
The Logical Forumer

Post by The Logical Forumer »

Hard to choose favorites. I mean, there is just so many of them! But I'd probably have to go with Leviticus 22:13 (hope that's the right one)
If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
I like this one because so many Christians turn to this verse to show that "god hates gays" yet I never see any of them put a gay to death. Funny how they only follow their holy book to a certain extent now isn't it? :roll:
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
The Logical Forumer wrote: I like this one because so many Christians turn to this verse to show that "god hates gays" yet I never see any of them put a gay to death. Funny how they only follow their holy book to a certain extent now isn't it? :roll:
I have a homosexual friend who lives his life in fear and repents for his sins because he is attracted to males.
It's so sad to see him like that now he is even more confused about being gay.
Don't be a waste of molecules
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

One who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall be put to death; the whole congregation shall stone the blasphemer. Aliens as well as citizens, when they blaspheme the Name, shall be put to death. (NRSV) — Leviticus 24:16
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none who does good. Psalm 14:1

Incidentally,
And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell. Matthew 5:22
So the psalm guy is also burning.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox