What do you think Veganism and Atheism can teach people?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
maxeemindee
Diet: Vegan

What do you think Veganism and Atheism can teach people?

Post by maxeemindee »

I think it would be nice to hear other people's opinions about the life lessons that people can learn from being vegan/atheist, the benefits of being vegan/atheist, and the overall impact that veganism/atheism has on the world.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: What do you think Veganism and Atheism can teach people?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I don't think I would say veganism or atheism would necessarily teach people anything on their own. They're conclusions of a thought process. Sometimes rational, sometimes irrational (even irrational atheists who disbelieve in a god based on feels or bad arguments).

As to practice, there are also people who go their whole lives without really learning anything as a consequence of holding a view or practicing/abstaining from something. A vegan could just spend more on food if in an unfriendly area to avoid learning how to cook and avoid argument, and learn anything about or nutrition. Likewise, an atheist could just keep his or her lack of religion to his or herself, or even be self-loathing, and avoid learning anything meaningful.

Now activism, in any form, is probably different. That will teach you to debate, at least. Or, it will if you're doing it right and don't run away from a challenge.

In certain situations, being vegan can encourage people to learn about cooking and nutrition, but that will not necessarily be the case, as mentioned. Where it does, though, it can open a lot of doors to new techniques and experience.