Obedience to God cartoon.

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
ChipDipSM
Diet: Vegan

Obedience to God cartoon.

Post by ChipDipSM »

I checked the forum and couldn't find a post about this, so if I missed it feel free to let me know and link me to it.

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it on YouTube here's a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hjKZ0pxCI

While the video itself is so much bullshit, that's not really the point of this post. What I'm curious about is if anyone here has ever experienced this form of indoctrination?

I've always been skeptical of God, but when I was a child I'd allow my mind to be swayed by my mother after all she was my mother and surely wouldn't lead me astray. Heh. I, like a lot of children in the 90's(and several decades prior), collected POGs. Well anyone that has collected them knows the pictures on these things varied greatly, from cartoon characters to skulls and demons and pretty much everything else. Well because of the demons my mom didn't like them and she used God as a reason to destroy them. She told me they were wrong and evil and that as long as I had them I God couldn't love me and I'd surely go to hell. I trusted her, so of course I allowed them to be destroyed. However that wasn't enough, she made me destroy them. I was required to cut each one up and them burn them all and stand there and watch them burn. I felt so hurt and wronged and honestly that was one of the first major things to make me reject religion. I was a logical child and God was already a razor wire for me and I started thinking about it. Why would he possibly care about them? Surely if he was so powerful he'd know they were just toys and pictures, but more importantly it made me think. Were they really worth eternal damnation?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this subject.
Last edited by ChipDipSM on Sat May 16, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Obedience to God cartoon.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ChipDipSM wrote:I checked the forum and couldn't find a post about this, so if I missed it feel free to let me know and link me to it.
I'm not sure, but I think somebody posted the link before. It's an interesting window into the minds of Jehovah's witnesses.
Their children are often miserable, because their parents are so strict about this shit. The kids go along with it to an extent, but a lot of times end up resenting their parents.

No Christmas, no Halloween, no toys or books or movies or games except Jehovah's witness ones that 'glorify god', which are all incredibly lame. They don't even have birthday parties (as you probably know).
jw.org wrote:Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays because we believe that such celebrations displease God.
Wow...

It is, to an extent, what omnivores think when they think of kids being raised vegan. Except it's a misconception, since there's plenty of vegan candy and junk food, and vegans don't ban celebration of holidays, or playing games that don't glorify veganism.
We're pretty much happy with anything that isn't directly harming animals or encouraging that. I wouldn't be too happy with kids playing games that simulate dog fighting or realistic hunting as the main point of the game, but most hunting games are lame (except monster hunter, which isn't realistic), and I think most people would agree that games glorifying dog fighting are probably pretty sick.

I liked a lot of children in the 90's(and several decades prior)
:shock:
I... I think that might be a typo...
I trusted her, so of course I allowed them to be destroyed. However that wasn't enough, she made me destroy them. I was required to cut each one up and them burn them all and stand there and watch them burn. I felt so hurt and wronged and honestly that was one of the first major things to make me reject religion.
If the kid in the video was a real one, it would probably be happening for him too. Jehovah's Witnesses rely on door to door conversions to avoid going extinct, because they're so incredibly emotionally abusive to their children, only somebody completely broken would likely choose to stay with the church after that. Even though it means your parents basically disown you.

Jehovah's witnesses are probably the largest religion in the U.S. that still acts like a cult. They recruit from the emotionally vulnerable, they dominate people's lives, tear families apart, abuse children (more than the average religion, even), etc.
zeello

Post by zeello »

brimstoneSalad wrote: We're pretty much happy with anything that isn't directly harming animals or encouraging that. I wouldn't be too happy with kids playing games that simulate dog fighting or realistic hunting as the main point of the game, but most hunting games are lame (except monster hunter, which isn't realistic), and I think most people would agree that games glorifying dog fighting are probably pretty sick.
The irony is that many non-vegans finding hunting games to be objectionable. I know someone on another forum who posted "BAHAHAHAHA! OH MY [expletive removed] GOD THAT'S HORRIBLE!"in response to this image: http://static2.gamespot.com/uploads/ori ... 01_001.jpg
And guess what, he's not a vegan! So it's kind of pathetic the moral disconnect between different types of animals and activities.

Anyway the reason I mention this, is because I find hunting games to be interesting, and I'm considering trying them out myself. I see no problem with them, and if I ask myself why, I think there are two reasons for this. 1) It's hunting, which is not nearly as bad as the business exploitation of animals. It's no different from what animals do to each other. 2) Most non-vegans disassociate with hunting games as I've stated above, so there's no sense of me somehow supporting non-veganism, since they don't like the games anyway, It's the moral disconnect that's the sin here, so in fact by playing the games I'm actually bringing it to attention.

Having said that, there is actually is one instance of non-veganism in a game that really ticked me off, but that's for another time since I'm already completely off topic. But I should say this: In a way, games in which animals are the primary focus, are less damaging than games that do it by happenstance. In this way, the subtle and the casual is actually the more damaging. Not the other way around.

It's like you said in that last sentence "most people would agree that games glorifying dog fighting are probably pretty sick" Exactly. It really depends on what people think they are getting.

EDIT: How could I forget about Cooking Mama. That's a perfect example of what I'm trying to say. There's no actual violence against animals in it, unlike the hunting game, but it's drastically worse than a hunting game.
What I'm curious about is if anyone here has ever experienced this form of indoctrination?
Nothing that extreme, I guess. Never had to destroy toys in exchange for God's love.

I'm not even sure if my parents are even all that religious. A lot of what they have done may have been for social reasons above all else.

Pogs are pretty shady though since they promote gambling. To add insult to injury the game was kind of dumb. Poker is a way better game and doesn't involve slamming things, but still, y'know, gambling..

Kind of ridiculous you'd have to destroy all of them though just because SOME of them contain skulls. By that logic all books should be destroyed just because some of them are Harry Potter.
ChipDipSM

Post by ChipDipSM »

brimstoneSalad wrote: I... I think that might be a typo...
LOL That was indeed a typo.
zeello wrote:Pogs are pretty shady though since they promote gambling. To add insult to injury the game was kind of dumb. Poker is a way better game and doesn't involve slamming things, but still, y'know, gambling..

Kind of ridiculous you'd have to destroy all of them though just because SOME of them contain skulls. By that logic all books should be destroyed just because some of them are Harry Potter.
Yeah, I would have understood that reasoning for getting rid of them and looking back it was pretty lame.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax
BarkingCrow
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by BarkingCrow »

ChipDipSM wrote:What I'm curious about is if anyone here has ever experienced this form of indoctrination?
Yep... I was raised in a very conservative Southern Baptist home. My brother and I were very shielded from "the evils of this world". My mom was furious when my granddad (my dad's father) took us to see Star Wars (the original, in 1977). For weeks, he tried to explain that it's a basic story about good versus evil, and in the end, good wins. She wasn't buying it, because the "good" was explicitly "Jesus Christ". To her, Jesus was the only "good" in the world. And yes, she still thinks that. I feel really bad for my brother's kids.

The church we went to had a "TV/Movie committee". It was a small group of parents that met with the pastors/deacons to discuss and review TV shows and movies to determine if it was safe for kid to watch. Like this video, it extended to toys, games, playing cards, etc., related to the show/movie. They published a monthly newsletter to everyone in the church with a list of "OK" and "NOT OK" shows and movies. It also was not uncommon for my parents to call the parents of my friends, telling them - "we would appreciate it if your son wouldn't talk about Star Wars around our son. Children should not be exposed to that type of evil." I'll let you guess how many friends I had...

And they wonder why I don't like talking about religion...

BC