Hi There

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Mward94
Diet: Meat-Eater

Hi There

Post by Mward94 »

I'm a 20 year old British Atheist

Just here introducing myself and looking forward to future content.

Should be interesting here, especially as it appears that theists willing for intelligent discussion are joining here and, because I was brought up an Atheist and most of all my friends too, find out what it is like for American people who are sole Atheists in their families.

Michael
Neptual
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hi There

Post by Neptual »

Mward94 wrote:I'm a 20 year old British Atheist

Just here introducing myself and looking forward to future content.

Should be interesting here, especially as it appears that theists willing for intelligent discussion are joining here and, because I was brought up an Atheist and most of all my friends too, find out what it is like for American people who are sole Atheists in their families.

Michael
Hello and welcome to the forums! I and many of my friends grew up in Christian house holds, and by the time we got to high school all of us were atheist going to a Catholic School. As far as I'm concerned I'm the only Atheist in my family. I got constantly get questioned on why I think that evolution is true etc. This one of of the main reasons why I tend to not go to family events.
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

They're asking you why evolution is true? O well, that's not really hard to answer, is it?

But I can understand it's not a great atmosphere when being the only atheist at a family event. Most of my family don't even know I'm an atheist because of this reason. I'm not going to start about it when not asked. Although I'm always talking from the secular point of view and never praising Christianity when joining a conversation, and not closing my eyes when praying, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum!

Most of us are not only soul atheists, but soul vegetarians/vegans too. We're black sheep in all sorts of ways.

While people give us a lot of trouble about being different (which is pretty intense in the U.S.; people don't shy away from conflict, even with strangers), it also provides a strong sense of meaning and personal identity-- that we've understood something that other people don't.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Volenta wrote:They're asking you why evolution is true? O well, that's not really hard to answer, is it?

But I can understand it's not a great atmosphere when being the only atheist at a family event. Most of my family don't even know I'm an atheist because of this reason. I'm not going to start about it when not asked. Although I'm always talking from the secular point of view and never praising Christianity when joining a conversation, and not closing my eyes when praying, etc.
If only you too experienced the moment when you're sitting at the dinner table as a kid, and your relatives and your whole family find out that you're vegetarian/vegan..
Jokes, teasings and stupid questions for weeks. They try very hard to make you feel uncomfortable. Atleast that's my experience.
I can't imagine the impression on their faces if they'd know I'm atheist aswell.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Welcome to the forum Michael!
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
pizza
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by pizza »

Welcome! :)
lsm1

Post by lsm1 »

Hello, I'm an evolutionary biologist. I love your videos. Happy to help answering absurd creationist BS if you ever need. Thanks for doing this site! I'm recently becoming more open about my new atheism, but still afraid of offending students (so I keep it low when teaching Evolution).

Cheers,

lsm
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

lsm1 wrote:Hello, I'm an evolutionary biologist. I love your videos. Happy to help answering absurd creationist BS if you ever need. Thanks for doing this site! I'm recently becoming more open about my new atheism, but still afraid of offending students (so I keep it low when teaching Evolution).

Cheers,

lsm
Welcome Ism. You should start your own Topic introducing yourself.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics