Finally getting around to this...

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
CXC0401
Diet: Meat-Eater

Finally getting around to this...

Post by CXC0401 »

Hi there!

You can call me Cici. I'm from Arizona and recently (on the fence for about 2 years, declared -to myself and a select group of others- atheist for 1 year) discovered/realized/found out my atheism. I came from a Roman Catholic faith... so that's a thing.

I'm pursuing a dual degree in Biology (BS) and physiology (BSHS) and hope to go on to medical school. I really enjoy pathology and would love to practice with infectious diseases :mrgreen:

I have never been involved with discussions with other atheists... so I'm really excited to discover this site after watching my first VeganAtheist YT video.

I like reading a lot, and I prefer supernatural books (particularly vampire novels) and enjoy playing video games in my free time.

I guess I don't really know what to say from here but if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Oh and I didn't know how to disable the diet option under my username, so if anyone knows how please let me know! Also I am really focused with discover who I am with regards to religion and no, I haven't given much thought to veganism. I'm super stressed out most of the time and will think about it sometime in the future, just not right now.

Nice meeting all of you!
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Finally getting around to this...

Post by EquALLity »

Hi, welcome to the forum! :D

Wow, you've never spoken with other atheists? I'm glad you found the forum then!

What made you an atheist?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
CXC0401
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by CXC0401 »

EquALLity wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum! :D

Wow, you've never spoken with other atheists? I'm glad you found the forum then!

What made you an atheist?
Truthfully I started disbelieving in my junior/senior year of high school (I went to a Catholic HS) when my friends and bf went on a Kairos trip, which is this trip to a camp where they take away your cell phones, feed you really well, but make you tired with plenty of activities and seminars and group discussions. I felt as though it was a great brainwashing technique and way of making your emotionally available to bury your soul into classmates that don't give a crap about you. Then you come back and 'live the forth' (which is a rule or something about being kind to people) and everyone is happy and the groups stay friends forever and everyone is nicer and people don't judge and blah blah blah for about two weeks. Then the same alcoholics and druggies go back to doing their thing until a "Group 4 reunion!" emerges after a couple months and they reminisce about their Jesus trip for a bit, and then that's it. Oh and it only costs like 100 bucks!

TMI ALERT!

For example: my boyfriend came back and had this huge freak out thing where he read some passages from the journal (that you're forced to write in) about how having sex with me was such a sin and we should wait for marriage and that he didn't want to do anything again and blah blah. Needless to say after a couple weeks I was back to fooling around with him and we are still active two years later. *rolls eyes*

Another example not as personal is that my ex-friend went on Kairos after her and I had a huge falling out. She didn't talk to me, I didn't talk to her (for like, months) and then all of the sudden she came back and wanted to have a heart to heart. No. It doesn't work that way. One weekend at Jesus camp doesn't cure you from being a terrible person.

So, yeah. That's when I really started getting frustrated with religion. Plus religion class was getting on my nerves about the way they taught things. Especially abstinence only sex ed.

So since then I really was questioning my whole belief system, teetered with a traditional agnosticism, and then broke from religion fully really only about a year ago. It just frustrated me that people were only acting holy around the holy holidays, like Easter. And I guess I just fell in love with the science I was learning and really see no room for a god to exist, especially the thousands of gods that exist in people's minds and the ones that are dead.

Over time I have become stronger in my atheism and really see no need for it in the world at all, especially not in my children's futures. So needless to say it has been an interesting journey, and one I am still wandering through. There are so many books to read, discussions to have, and ideas to conceive that it takes up a lot of my time.

And I just want to thank you for taking the time to read this. I know they are long posts but I feel the need to spill my guts because I feel such a sense of belonging that I've never really felt before, and it is so incredibly wonderful.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Spill your guts all you like, happy to listen. :P
CXC0401 wrote:Another example not as personal is that my ex-friend went on Kairos after her and I had a huge falling out. She didn't talk to me, I didn't talk to her (for like, months) and then all of the sudden she came back and wanted to have a heart to heart. No. It doesn't work that way. One weekend at Jesus camp doesn't cure you from being a terrible person.
I actually disagree about this. If she wanted to make things right, and this motivated her to do it, what's the problem?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Great! Explore more atheist spaces and communities/groups. What do you like to do apart from this, for fun? Vamp novels, you mean the twilight sort?
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Don't worry about TMI :)
EquALLity wrote:I actually disagree about this. If she wanted to make things right, and this motivated her to do it, what's the problem?
I would say it depends on what the falling out was like. People CAN change, but I'd also ask what value the friendship had that needed preserving. If there's even a chance somebody is volatile, there needs to be something great in the relationship to make up for that.