Salutations fellow reader!

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Werther

Salutations fellow reader!

Post by Werther »

I chose Werther as username based on the main character from „Die Leiden des jungen Werthers” („The Sorrows of Young Werther”, also please do not ridicule how I add the quote signs, that is how I was taught in my country). I am a 20 years old incurable romantic, I was born on 31st August, the same day in which the Romanian language is celebrated. My Romanian grammar is impeccable compared to English, therefore I apologize in advance.

I currently live in Bucharest, the capital city of Romania, although my hometown is Jassy, a major city of Moldova region. Despite moving to college, the architecture, the efficiency of the public transportation and the many wondrous parks determined me to remain here even after completing my studies.

I found this forum after it was mentioned in a Youtube video called „Because the BIBLE says so - STUPID CHRISTIAN comments #13”, I also watch other videos made by TVA, mostly about religion since I consider myself as an atheist. I was raised in a Christian-Orthodox environment, during childhood anyone I knew was pious and strict, especially my parents and grandparents, usually „corrected” if I did not follow the fasting, prayers, listening to the Holy Liturgy every Sunday. My parents even had the expectation for me to become a priest and marry someone according to their taste (Orthodox priests are allowed to marry).

I read the Bible for the first time when I was 8 years old and since at that age I enjoyed reading stories, legends, Roman or Greek mythology and was told that „mythology means fake”, I have begun to think that all must be fake since all are very similar. What amazed next year was the fact that one of my colleagues was not allowed to participate in the religion class because he was a Catholic. I asked the teacher why he was a Catholic, she replied: „because her parents are Catholics”.

That seemed to me unfair, but what amazed to see in my class, despite the rest of my colleagues being Orthodox, not one read the Bible, yet they were firm believers, some even criticizing the theory of evolution or others that are not Orthodox. There were things I did not understand and wanted to learn more from other sources as well, despite feeling uncertain for the next few years, I felt no presence of a divine being.
Even today I do not have the courage or will to admit to any of my relatives that I am an atheist, although I find it more liberating at being 425 km distance from any of them.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Salutations fellow reader!

Post by miniboes »

Welcome to the forum, Werther!

What is it like being an atheist in Romania? Is atheism widespread?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Werther

Post by Werther »

Well, based on a 2011 census, there are 20.700 atheists or 0.10% of the population, although I imagine that there are a lot more from younger generations which I have noticed to be more tolerant in general towards religion or orientation. My hometown was homogenous, never saw people saying that they are atheists or Muslims nor seen people of any other race than caucasian, not until I moved to Bucharest a year ago, which is more diverse and populated. By the way, I like your profile picture, is it a cartoon character?
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Welcome to the forum, Werther (Good book, by the way). I hope you like it here.

This forum used to focus more on atheism, but at some point the members decided to give it a more philosophical twist (a decision with which I agree). Nevertheless, debates between Christians and atheists still take place from time to time.

Are you interested in veganism as well?

I thought that atheism was more widespread in you country, to be honest. What did you study in Bucarest, if you don't mind my asking?
Last edited by DarlBundren on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werther

Post by Werther »

I am studying psychology, will be finishing my first year and like I said, it is just a census. I imagine that there might be more in urban areas, yet they probably do not broadly affirm to others in public for various reasons I imagine. I also like philosophy or art in general, therefore it will not be a problem to participate in other subjects.

As for veganism, I was raised as a meat eater, during my visits at the rural side, my grandfather, was always with the principle of „eat what you kill”, sometimes being forced to participate or watch during the Ignat (the celebration in which the pig was killed close to the holidays such as Christmas or Easter, although I found it barbaric ever since I saw it with my own eyes).

I am starting to consider Veganism as the better solution for my health, but also due to compassion, since I still feel the remorse for the animals my grandfather made me behead or else he would let me starve until I did it. I am still in the process of becoming a Vegan, for now, I am having difficulty to abandon eggs or milk consumption.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

Werther wrote:As for veganism, I was raised as a meat eater, during my visits at the rural side, my grandfather, was always with the principle of „eat what you kill”
Unfortunately, back in the day, people (especially in rural areas) didn't have much of a choice. Now, it's different.
Werther wrote:I am still in the process of becoming a Vegan, for now, I am having difficulty to abandon eggs or milk consumption.
That's great. Let us know if you need any help and feel free to start a new thread.
Werther

Post by Werther »

Of course, but where am I allowed to start a thread regarding my diet towards veganism?
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

There's a section called 'Vegan forum'.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Werther wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:59 amBy the way, I like your profile picture, is it a cartoon character?
Yes, it's the main character of Ox Tales, a Dutch cartoon series. His name is Boes, and he is my personal mascot and the inspiration of my username on this forum.

We'd be happy to help you transition to a diet with less or no animal products. Just make a post and ask whatever you want to know!
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Werther, what a great intro post!
Werther wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:33 am I am starting to consider Veganism as the better solution for my health, but also due to compassion, since I still feel the remorse for the animals my grandfather made me behead or else he would let me starve until I did it. I am still in the process of becoming a Vegan, for now, I am having difficulty to abandon eggs or milk consumption.
I'm so sorry to hear of that, do you resent your grandfather? Is that normal in your country?
In English speaking countries, I think most people would be appalled by that.

It sounds like you're doing really great! Slow and steady is often the best way, you've already come far, it's really impressive. We're happy to help with advice.