Hello

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Sunflowers
Diet: Vegetarian

Hello

Post by Sunflowers »

Hi,

I've been a vegetarian for 23 years (and I don't each much dairy, I just indulge occasionally).

I am interested in all areas of philosophy, especially ethics (hence why I have joined).

I am not religious, but I do think a god exists.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hello

Post by Red »

Hey Sunflowers! Don't feel too bad about indulging in dairy from time to time, as long as you recognize the issues with it, and don't actively consume it.

What inspired you to go vegan?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome Sunflowers.

23 years is a very long time to be a vegetarian. I'm just curious what has kept you from becoming vegan. If you only rarely consume dairy, it can't be that important to you.

What do you mean by "a god"?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome Sunflowers, you came to the right place for philosophical conversations on ethics!
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

@Sunflowers Now that you have blessed us with your superior intellect, would you care to respond to the questions posed above?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Sunflowers
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Sunflowers »

Jebus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:04 pm @Sunflowers Now that you have blessed us with your superior intellect, would you care to respond to the questions posed above?
You ask "23 years is a very long time to be a vegetarian. I'm just curious what has kept you from becoming vegan. If you only rarely consume dairy, it can't be that important to you."

Well that doesn't follow (as anyone with a superior intellect would know). But anyway, although I am vegetarian and vegan-for the-most-part, and am both for ethical reasons, I don't believe veganism is morally obligatory. It is, I think, supererogatory. That is, praiseworthy if done, but not ethically required, at least not for those for whom it would constitute a major inconvenience.