Vegan and pro Animals in Medical Experiments

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
vievaisobelle
Diet: Vegan

Vegan and pro Animals in Medical Experiments

Post by vievaisobelle »

I had a debate today with a Vegan friend and non vegan friend and I'm containing my vegan journey .

I am vegan i became vegan for ethical reasons -- BUT , i support Medical Experiments i don't support animal testing fashion or beauty industry. anyone feel the same?
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Vegan and pro Animals in Medical Experiments

Post by EquALLity »

I think I agree.
It's terrible that we have to do animal testing for medical advancements at this time, but those medical advancements will ultimately produce more good than the harm done from the death and torture of the animals.

There are other forms of testing, but they aren't able to replace animal testing yet.
Alternatives are in the making, though!

Of course, there's no justification for doing animal experimentation for cosmetics.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
vievaisobelle

Post by vievaisobelle »

EquALLity wrote:I think I agree.
It's terrible that we have to do animal testing for medical advancements at this time, but those medical advancements will ultimately produce more good than the harm done from the death and torture of the animals.

There are other forms of testing, but they aren't able to replace animal testing yet.
Alternatives are in the making, though!

Of course, there's no justification for doing animal experimentation for cosmetics.

glad to know i was beginning to feel the cognitive dissonance
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Yes same here. This sums it up well

https://neurdiness.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/currently-necessary-evil-a-vegans-view-on-the-use-of-animals-in-neuroscience-research/
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
vievaisobelle

Post by vievaisobelle »

garrethdsouza wrote:Yes same here. This sums it up well

https://neurdiness.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -research/

Oh you write that its good -- thats how i feel . i wonder if the Vegan A would do a vid on this subject? :?: :?: :?:
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Accepting animal testing for legitimate medical reasons as a necessary evil is a pretty common position in consequential veganism (as opposed to deontologicla veganism).

The tricky thing is separating the necessary from the not, and the excessive testing which is not scientifically very useful but may be required by government (like lot testing), or a defense against liability. We really need reform in those areas.

In terms of medical testing on animals, we just need to devote more to alternatives so they aren't needed anymore. Cells and organs on chips are very promising.
ole_92

Post by ole_92 »

No, I think that use of nonhuman animals for experimentation (even if it saves lives of humans) is not morally justified. I believe it is inconsistent with veganism.

I'm not in favor of severely mentally disabled humans to be used for experiments and vivisection. Nonhumans are sentient, and so are disabled humans; they can all suffer. They're also not unlikely to be just as intelligent. I do not want to live in a society where disabled people are exploited like that.

In fact, I would argue that we have stronger, not weaker, moral obligations towards the most vulnerable members of our society, such as children, the elderly, and the disabled. So the only way I could support animal experiments, and oppose mentally disabled human experiments at the same time, is if I was a speciesist.
Last edited by ole_92 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

If testing is necessary evil, then it should be done to the mentally disabled humans first, since they are much better test subjects. I guess we would pick them out randomly, just like we (they) do to other animals today.

I don't assume that it is always a good thing to help humans at all, since the consequenses are worse when more humans live longer. Perhaps it would be worth it if it improves life quality, but not extending life. I guess it is hard to separate the two though, since better health often leads to better quality of life.
Heinechan

Post by Heinechan »

EquALLity wrote: those medical advancements will ultimately produce more good than the harm done from the death and torture of the animals.
Good for whom? Certainly not the animals.

I really object to the notion that the ends justify the means when we're talking about the hellish torture animals are put through in medical experiments.

If we're going to have any reasonable form of consequentialism it has to come with some caveat on the extent of evil we're willing to enact for what consequences.

The idea that we should enact the greatest evil on the most defenseless for our own benefit makes no sense to me. Not to mention that creatures willing to enact such tremendous evil on others aren't even deserving of the extra years added onto their lives through those medical experiments.
Anon0045 wrote: I don't assume that it is always a good thing to help humans at all, since the consequenses are worse when more humans live longer.
True true my man
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Heinechan wrote:
EquALLity wrote: those medical advancements will ultimately produce more good than the harm done from the death and torture of the animals.
Good for whom? Certainly not the animals.

I really object to the notion that the ends justify the means when we're talking about the hellish torture animals are put through in medical experiments.

If we're going to have any reasonable form of consequentialism it has to come with some caveat on the extent of evil we're willing to enact for what consequences.

The idea that we should enact the greatest evil on the most defenseless for our own benefit makes no sense to me. Not to mention that creatures willing to enact such tremendous evil on others aren't even deserving of the extra years added onto their lives through those medical experiments.
Anon0045 wrote: I don't assume that it is always a good thing to help humans at all, since the consequenses are worse when more humans live longer.
True true my man
I hate that it's necessary at the moment, but from my understanding it is. Animal testing leads to medical progress that saves many many lives.
In the end, it produces more harm than good in many instances.

It makes sense because it produces more good than harm, even though it involves a lot of horrible torture.
It's a choice between two evils, and the lesser of two evils is animal testing.

I don't understand your argument about humans not being 'deserving' of the medical advancements we get from animal testing.
In the end it's just about what produces the most good.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx