fruit transports and ecology

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
charlotte-reva
Diet: Vegan

fruit transports and ecology

Post by charlotte-reva »

Hello everyone, the subject has probably been treated so feel free to redirect me .
What is the " envirronement" cost of fully raw diet, frutarian diets, or high fruit diet in northern part of the world? compared to an omnivore diet for example?
I know a lot of rawfoodist claims that their diet is more ecological than omnivore diet .
Thanks,
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: fruit transports and ecology

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Due to the sheer amount of calories many raw foodists have to eat to get enough nutrients, it may be worse. Raw food diets tend to be low in a lot of things.
It's possible to make a more sustainable raw food diet by including more nuts and sprouted seeds, and limiting fruit intake. It can be pretty tedious to make that palatable though (sprouting grains, dehydrating crackers from them, blending nut cheeses, etc.) I don't see anything wrong with a seed/grain based raw diet if somebody has the time for it. The problem, though, it's it can be tricky to get much lysine since it's hard to eat beans raw (they often have to be sprouted very long, and even then they're kind of bitter).
charlotte-reva

Re: fruit transports and ecology

Post by charlotte-reva »

Thanks for the answer, i am kind of skeptical to see the the huge amount of tropical fruit some vegans eat in northern climates. Great to thrive on fruits ( or be high fruit) in a climate where they are available all year round , but in northern climates what would happen if everyone begins to eat that way?
I ounce tryed to eat sprouted azuki beans and it maked me sick and sprouted grains are not that nice to eat ....