Were you always skeptical about God? [POLL]

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.

Were you always skeptical about there being a "God"?

Poll ended at Sat May 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

Neptual
Diet: Vegan

Were you always skeptical about God? [POLL]

Post by Neptual »

I was always skeptical about there being a god, how about you?
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Were you always skeptical about God? [POLL]

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

There used to be a time when I thought some kind of god existed. Those days I refer to as my "dark ages".
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Free From Religion

Post by Free From Religion »

I was raised catholic and since my parents and literally everyone I ever met told me it was true, I believed it. It wasn't until highschool that I actually thought about it, and finally freed myself from religion. 8-)
"Remember that truth has nothing to fear from doubt. Truth withstands scrutiny. If anyone tries to convince you doubt is a sin while belief without evidence is a virtue... you can bet they are selling lies." -MystryBox
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

I was raised in a fundamentalist church (Flintstones was a documentary) one day our teacher asked during a lecture "how do you know Christianity is true?" she nodded her head at all the answers and then I raised my hand and said "because it's the worlds oldest religion" makes sense if Adam and Eve spoke to God right? Well my teacher hesitated and looked unnerved. At that point I read stuff on other religions. In middle school I went through the Common atheist phases, agnostic, deist, spiritual, finally admitted to myself I was an atheist in high school.
Sokami Mashibe

Post by Sokami Mashibe »

My parents are/were evangelicals when I was young. From the point I started thinking to myself, I always loved to investigate things and research them thoroughly. Even at such a young age, I always liked to form ideas on a justified rational or evidence based premise(s). That is why I consider myself always skeptical of the idea of god, even when My parents tried to indoctrinate the concept into my brain. Ultimately, my rational and ultimately 'scientific' nature contributed to a perpetually growing number of differences between myself and my family/parents. Belief wise, I have little to nothing in common with them.

I live by a series of broad, consistent and extremely useful philosophies, they live by what a book has to say.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I can't answer the question with a yes or no. I like to think I was, because I did raise some questions as a child which had no good answers and didn't had me satisfied. I forget about them, probably because it didn't bother my parents, and they were still believing. But I wouldn't say I was really doubting God's existence, because that was of course a wrong thing to do! I can remember trying to suppress this thoughts and feelings, since God doesn't like being questioned. Somehow the writers of the bible thought that believing in somethings existence is really a matter of choice, like not being envious anymore is...
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

These are great comments and I would love to hear more about your stories in the "Becoming an Atheist" thread (which I regularly read when someone posts there) as most of your stories seem a lot more interesting than mine :D
She's beautiful...
yes

Post by yes »

I was raised Christian but i was always skeptic after my grandma told me that anyone not Christian goes to hell. in my mind this brought up questions like 'why do they get tortured for all of eternity because there parents to not teach them Christianity'. I was the the only kid in church that didn't jump up and down speaking in tongues, i would always get in trouble for asking why god cant just listen to me in English, and why does god need money.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's hard to say always.

Growing up in a Christian dominated society, like most of us, people told me there was a god when I was too young to know better.

By the time I figured out the Santa-clause thing the jig was up.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

brimstoneSalad wrote:It's hard to say always.

Growing up in a Christian dominated society, like most of us, people told me there was a god when I was too young to know better.

By the time I figured out the Santa-clause thing the jig was up.
Usually indoctrination is the reason why most people are of a religion. Parents should try to teach their kids to ask questions instead of agreeing to anything that they say and not ask for reasoning.
She's beautiful...