I don't really want a car but I guess I'm gonna have to get one

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

I don't really want a car but I guess I'm gonna have to get one

Post by Red » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Ok, for the record, I hate driving, and I hate cars. I think they're dangerous and most people aren't very good at driving. Does anyone actually consider HOW dangerous driving one is? I mean, they are 2 ton machines that can easily kill someone or cause some serious damage. I mean, when you hit the break, you put your life in your foot's hands. Plus they're bloody expensive; not only just to by the thing, but for repairs, insurance, fuel, etc. ALSO the environment. Cars probably have one of the highest CO2 emissions, and even driving an electric car, unless you're located near a Nuclear Plant, is counterproductive.

Now with that tirade out of the way, since I'm going to University next year and not planning on dorming, my mom says I'm gonna get a car even though I don't really want to (I usually prefer public transportation; may not be as fast, but you can get things done on the way, and it's usually even better than driving in the city).

But since I'm gonna get a car, I always wanted to get a Smart Car. They're smaller, and I'm not going to need those two back seats which will almost never get used. But of course, my mom said that I'll get killed in one of those things (might be a possibility), and I'll never get pussy in that thing (not that it's much of an issue for me).

I don't really have a price range here but let's stay relatively cheap.
What say you?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:49 pm

The main thing is to look for the lightest thing possible, because the most significant contribution is the hauling around those tons of metal. Smaller cars are also likely to be cheaper.

But in terms of repairs, look for something common. A few years old, but a lot of them on the road. That'll mean it's easy to get parts.

If you have E100 fuel around there you might be able to get it modified. Could help a little.

sykkelmannen
Junior Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am
Diet: Freegan

Post by sykkelmannen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 am

I have a difficult time wrapping my head round this one. you say that
1. you hate cars and driving
2. they're dangerous
3. expensive
4. environment-unfriendly
5. you prefer public transport

but you're still getting one because your mom says so?

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

Post by Red » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 am

sykkelmannen wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:36 am
I have a difficult time wrapping my head round this one. you say that
1. you hate cars and driving
2. they're dangerous
3. expensive
4. environment-unfriendly
5. you prefer public transport

but you're still getting one because your mom says so?
Yes.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

Post by Red » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:49 pm
The main thing is to look for the lightest thing possible, because the most significant contribution is the hauling around those tons of metal. Smaller cars are also likely to be cheaper.

But in terms of repairs, look for something common. A few years old, but a lot of them on the road. That'll mean it's easy to get parts.

If you have E100 fuel around there you might be able to get it modified. Could help a little.
I got it; A MINI Cooper. I might look like a douchebag driving it but it just might be worth it.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Red wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 pm
I got it; A MINI Cooper.
I don't think those are very common in the states.

A small Chevy or Honda would probably be your best bet.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

Post by Red » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:32 pm
I don't think those are very common in the states.
Well in New York they are!!!! I see like 5 of them a day!
brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:32 pm
A small Chevy or Honda would probably be your best bet.
That might work, but there's still time.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Red wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 pm
Well in New York they are!!!! I see like 5 of them a day!
Oh, well you can check the price.
The trick is that there need to be a lot of older/used ones, because that's where spare parts come from.
If there haven't been a lot of them around for 5-10 years that's going to make it more expensive.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

Post by Red » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 pm
Red wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 pm
Well in New York they are!!!! I see like 5 of them a day!
Oh, well you can check the price.
The trick is that there need to be a lot of older/used ones, because that's where spare parts come from.
If there haven't been a lot of them around for 5-10 years that's going to make it more expensive.
Ugh, it's always fucking something. Again though, I'm still sitting on it.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Will she let you get a motorcycle or e-bike?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests