Hi there.

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Rayofgdsunshine
Diet: Vegan

Hi there.

Post by Rayofgdsunshine »

I've been vegetarian or vegan for at least half my life. I'm from very meat-centric culture. So, I've lapsed into meat eating occasionally. Peer pressure and all that. I'm back to eating vegan for ethical and moral reasons. I love to cook.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hi there.

Post by Red »

Hey Rayofgdsunshine, welcome to the forum.
Don't worry about accidentally eating meat here and there, it's hard to say it's your fault due to your background. What prompted you to go vegan? Any books or documentaries?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Rayofgdsunshine

Post by Rayofgdsunshine »

I find a lot of the vegan documentaries difficult to fact check. This time, it's been a longer road

I had two emergency brain surgeries in the last 12 months, and my taste buds were effected so I just started really not liking the way it tastes or feels in my mouth.

I also had lots of YouTube time on my hands and found the unnatural Vegan and other science based vegans.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about global warming, animals, and my place in the world, like I said lots of time to think.

After that, I read Sapiens, and there's a really great reminder in there about the meat industry.

It was an easier swap this time. I haven't had any meat cravings, cheese or milk cravings, and I've been taking food that everyone wants to eat to family gatherings. It's just different this time. I hope that makes sense!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Rayofgdsunshine wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 pm I had two emergency brain surgeries in the last 12 months, and my taste buds were effected so I just started really not liking the way it tastes or feels in my mouth.
That's interesting. Physiology of taste probably has something to do with people going vegan (or the probability of). I wonder if it's like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people, and some like meat less?
Although there are of course many avid meat lovers who go vegan for ethics, it could lower the barrier if you are a little averse to begin with.

How do meat replacements taste/feel to you now by comparison?

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome! Most of us come from meat-centric cultures. This is not an excuse for eating meat. Great that you've managed to get rid of your meat cravings. Hopefully you've had your last relapse.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.