The Absolute Worst Video I Have Ever Seen On Youtube

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: The Absolute Worst Video I Have Ever Seen On Youtube

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm I don't know now. Is nuclear cheaper than the fossil fuels?
Fossil fuels, without paying for emissions, are cheaper.
Wind I'm not sure of, electricity production can be cheaper than all of the additional costs from nuclear (like insurance) but that's less clear with storage.

Offshore wind is interesting since it's potentially a little more reliable, but also seems to be more expensive than nuclear.
Lay Vegan

Post by Lay Vegan »

brimstoneSalad and the others know more than I do about this, but the video was short and succinct. Nice job!

I noticed you haven’t touched on energy ROI, which is key in demonstrating how and why nuclear energy is a more lucrative business than other sources.

Not sure if anyone has seen this already but renewable energy seems to have beat out fossil fuels in the U.S. for the first time (no doubt atmospheric conditions are to blame). But good news nonetheless. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... irst-time/
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Lay Vegan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm I noticed you haven’t touched on energy ROI, which is key in demonstrating how and why nuclear energy is a more lucrative business than other sources.
Agh I know, such an important thing to leave out.
Lay Vegan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pmNot sure if anyone has seen this already but renewable energy seems to have beat out fossil fuels in the U.S. for the first time (no doubt atmospheric conditions are to blame). But good news nonetheless. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... irst-time/
I heard of that too, and that's great, but I question how significant it is, considering how many renewable plants it takes just to reach that (as I said in my video, there are thousands of renewable plants, and less than 400 coal plants), and AFAIK we're starting to close down a few coal plants. Also, it seems to be just for electricity (not total energy), and I don't have a statistic on how much electricity is in our total energy profile in the US.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci