My partner doesnt want to eat with our meat eater friends and family

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
CauliflourV
Diet: Vegan

My partner doesnt want to eat with our meat eater friends and family

Post by CauliflourV »

I've recently started my journey within veganism, my partner has been vegan for a few years now and it's nice to have that immediate support but I have found myself feeling overwhelmed in not always feeling the same way he does about certain situations. One of them being - eating at the table with meat eaters. This isn't something that bothers me, currently I'm in a supporting house hold that caters for one meat eater, one pescetarian and one vegan and I enjoy the conversation it brings out at the table. My partner doesnt feel the same way and has recently decided he doesn't want to be included in any meals that entail looking at people eating dead animals. We have been fine up until recently with not having to leave the house during lockdown or be in as many social settings. However this summer we are set to go on a stay cation with my family for a 60th birthday, he has expressed his wish to not eat with us at table at all. It does upset me that he doesn't want to join us and will isolate himself on such a special occasion and I know its going to upset my family aswell. I'm not blind to see its obviously upsetting for him to eat with meat eaters and maybe its selfish of me to want him there with us but I'm not sure of any way around it. It's just set me back a little in seeing the reality of my journey, missing out on social gatherings and avoiding family occasions. As much as I like to encourage discussion on veganism I wouldn't want any of them to feel they were being forced into feeling bad about eating meat infont of me. Maybe I'm yet to change that opinion but I would just love to hear some other opinions on the matter or if anyone's had a similar experiences.. thanks 😊
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: My partner doesnt want to eat with our meat eater friends and family

Post by Jebus »

I live half a planet away from my family so I don't have to eat with them very often, but when I do I absolutely hate it. I have a hard time enjoying my own food while smelling the flesh of dead animals. Hence, I can sympathize with him.

I think it should be ok as long as he is social with your family before and after dinner. It will obviously become a problem if he doesn't interact at all.

You might also want to tell him that the dinner table is an excellent time to convince others that vegan food can look and taste great.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: My partner doesnt want to eat with our meat eater friends and family

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome CauliflourV, I hope you like it here.
Jebus wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:34 am You might also want to tell him that the dinner table is an excellent time to convince others that vegan food can look and taste great.
Yep, like Jebus said. It's called food evangelism and is probably one of the most effective forms of vegan outreach.

This refusal to eat with others isn't a vegan thing, more of a personal thing for him (I would not worry about it rubbing off or anything). It's understandable -- keep in mind there are people who can't eat at a table where soup is being served, or any number of other sensory or emotional issues that can ruin a meal.