(Video) WHY BUYING FROM SWEATSHOPS IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING! (and why FairTrade is dumb)

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

(Video) WHY BUYING FROM SWEATSHOPS IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING! (and why FairTrade is dumb)

Post by Red »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emh8Mvg0Vs

Worked pretty hard on it give us constructive criticism pls.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Re: (Video) WHY BUYING FROM SWEATSHOPS IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING! (and why FairTrade is dumb)

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:12 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emh8Mvg0Vs

Worked pretty hard on it give us constructive criticism pls.
I feel somewhat that you are repeating the same points ad nauseam, but I am not sure that is entirely a bad thing in politics. Sometimes, that seems to be the only way to get your point across. The audio is very low (almost silent) in some parts of the video, but I do not know how to make it any better.

I have also argued sweatshops are a good thing in one of my YouTube videos, as an example of how laws usually slow down the velocity of money (not the exact phrase, but that is what I meant) and therefore hurt the poor: https://youtu.be/XxizDnTKBXI?t=192
teo123
Master of the Forum

Re: (Video) WHY BUYING FROM SWEATSHOPS IS ACTUALLY A GOOD THING! (and why FairTrade is dumb)

Post by teo123 »

By the way, @Red, now I am not as pro-capitalism as I was back then. It is hard to deny that, at least sometimes, restricting exports would be the right thing to do. Like in the case of famines. If only foreigners have money, well, free markets create incentives for farmers to sell food to foreigners, rather than give it to people who need it the most.
Of course, real-world governments generally do not respond appropriately in case of famine. Almost all governments, when there is famine, respond by tightening censorship. And many, if not most, of the governments respond by forcing exports of food, presumably to cover up the famine better. The British government, for example, forced Ireland during the Great Potato Famine to export massive amounts of maize, arguably contributing to the famine.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Very good! You've definitely improved your presentation skills. My only advice would be too slow down a tiny bit.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:00 pm Very good! You've definitely improved your presentation skills. My only advice would be too slow down a tiny bit.
Thanks! Yeah, definitely need to slow it down, I'll do that for my next video.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

So, @Red, you say it is better to deny the existence of sweatshops than to do something about them, right? If so, why can't we apply the same logic to prisons?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:06 pm So, @Red, you say it is better to deny the existence of sweatshops than to do something about them, right? If so, why can't we apply the same logic to prisons?
I know you're trolling, I literally never said that.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm
teo123 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:06 pm So, @Red, you say it is better to deny the existence of sweatshops than to do something about them, right? If so, why can't we apply the same logic to prisons?
I know you're trolling, I literally never said that.
Sorry, I misunderstood you then.

By the way, I think this mentality behind FairTrade and anti-sweatshop movement is precisely the mentality of many people who reject veganism. They are often saying "Any consumption under capitalism is unethical, and abuse of animals is therefore a minor issue.", presumably meaning that sweatshops are a much more serious problem than factory farming. It is incredibly hard to fight that. I mean, it should not be, because it should be obvious that even if the premise is correct, that it is a tu quoque fallacy or even a nirvana fallacy (veganism does not solve sweatshops, therefore it should not be considered as a solution to factory farming, even if it may be a good solution, just because it is not perfect), but people who say that are not that good at logic. I mean, I have written my Parody of Anti-vegetarianism on my blog long ago, but I doubt it would actually convince anybody who actually thinks that way.