Will Covid evolve into something much worse?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Will Covid evolve into something much worse?

Post by Jebus »

teo123 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:19 am Vaccines not significantly protecting against infections is also corroborated by epidemiological data, namely, the fact that most vaccinated countries in Europe also have the highest number of cases per capita (but not deaths per capita).
Did you select the countries in this graphic? It is dishonest on so many levels. Why was July 15 chosen (when Malta, UK, and the Netherlands had peak infection rates), and not Aug 4 (the day with the most recent stats). Why were none of the countries with high infection-low vaccination included? Why were none of the countries with high vaccination- low infection selected?

Either you copied this graph from an anti-vaxer, or you were a piece of shit and made it yourself.

Regarding UK, you have to understand that they have one of the highest testing rates in Europe. Also, they have just gone through a period of lax rules and multi-spreader events, such as the European soccer championship.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Will Covid evolve into something much worse?

Post by teo123 »

Jebus wrote:I think this is the main reason you are always wrong about everything. You try to figure things out on your own rather than just trusting the stats that come from the experts.
So, do you think I should limit my thinking just to things I have been studying for years, such as computer science and linguistics? Well, maybe. But it is hard to do that now when the pandemic and policies that are supposed to curb it are affecting our lives a lot.
Jebus wrote:Recent studies show it is more like 70-80%.
That is just implausible given the epidemiological data. Then there would be a strong negative correlation between the percentage of vaccinated people and number of cases per capita (like there is a strong negative correlation between vaccination rates and death rate). But there is not.
Maybe there is something to what The Times of Israel says:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-those-who-inoculated-early-twice-as-likely-to-catch-covid-as-later-adopters/ wrote: Data released by the Health Ministry on Thursday suggested that people vaccinated in January were said to have just 16% protection against infection now, while in those vaccinated in April the effectiveness was at 75%.
I do not know how strong the science is behind that claim, but at least it sounds plausible when you look at the data.
Jebus wrote:Why was July 15 chosen (when Malta, UK, and the Netherlands had peak infection rates), and not Aug 4 (the day with the most recent stats).
What difference does it make? Obviously, there is no strong correlation between vaccination rate and number of cases per capita.
Jebus wrote:Why were none of the countries with high infection-low vaccination included?
As far as I know, there are no such countries, apart from maybe Moldova. The data shown in this diagram is enough to see that the correlation is not strong.
Jebus wrote: Why were none of the countries with high vaccination- low infection selected?
Like Hungary? Again, the data shown in the diagram is enough to see that the correlation is not strong.
Jebus wrote:Either you copied this graph from an anti-vaxer
Yes, I copied that graph from an "anti-vaxer", if you want to call him that way. Though I think there is a huge difference between saying "Elderly and people otherwise at high risk of COVID-19, and everybody who wants it, should get vaccinated so that when they inevitably get COVID-19, they will have no serious symptoms." (which is what anti-vaxxers try to contradict) and saying "Forcing everybody to get vaccinated will make COVID-19 disappear." (that is not supported by science: vaccines we have provide very little protection against the infection and around 45% protection against spreading, so forcing everybody to get vaccinated will not make the R0 of the Delta variant drop below 1).
Jebus wrote:Regarding UK, you have to understand that they have one of the highest testing rates in Europe.
Seriously, you will play the Trump's card that the problem is too much testing?
Jebus wrote:they have just gone through a period of lax rules
Mask mandates and lockdowns have little effect on how people are actually behaving, much less on the virus. There are many ways in which they may even be counter-productive: closing most stores may result in stores that remain open end up being more crowded, limiting time in which stores can be open can also lead to them being more crowded, lockdowns are probably contributing to the panic of the people who are buying unreasonable amounts of everyday products leading to shortages, masked people who are not trained to use masks properly may end up touching their faces more often...
Jebus wrote:multi-spreader events, such as the European soccer championship
That is probably the reason. I am not saying vaccines are the reason for high number of cases, I am just saying they do not significantly stifle the infections.