The Potatoes, Tofu, and Kale Trifecta, and supplements?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
guitararvin
Diet: Vegan

The Potatoes, Tofu, and Kale Trifecta, and supplements?

Post by guitararvin »

Would like t do veganism right. Aside from B-12, what nutrients are missing from a vegan diet and how can they be obtained? I'm talking about even small ones liek creatine, choline etc.

Is potatoes, Tofu, and Kale the perfect beans greens, and grains meal? Pototoes are complex carbs with plenty of vitamins and minerals. Tofu is a complete protein, and kale is king.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Potatoes, Tofu, and Kale Trifecta, and supplements?

Post by Red »

Use Cronometer if you're ever unsure about your nutrient intake.
https://cronometer.com/

There are no nutrients missing in a vegan diet. Check out our Wiki article on nutrients of concern:
wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern

The foods you listed are good staples to have in your diet, but it's important to get more variety in your diet.

Potatoes are OK, but I recommend Sweet Potatoes, they have more fiber and vitamins in them. Also get other colored veggies like bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and mushrooms.

What type of beans are you eating? Black and kidney beans are the best, and also lentils. Keep tofu of course, it's very versatile, and even get some hummus (good with bell peppers and carrots).

Kale is great, but other greens you should get are watercress, arugula, and even spinach. You can't go wrong with any of these.

Nuts and seeds are also important (walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds).

I recommend seeing Greger's Daily Dozen, can help give an idea of the foods you ought to be getting:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gre ... checklist/
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Hello Guitararvin, happy you came here to ask, as there are so many bad sources online of fad diets based on pseudoscience, or just bad overall.

As Red already gave you a link to, we have a Wiki giving advice and explaining everything related to veganism, and an entire section is dedicated to helping you go vegan, finding the best foods, and giving you ideas for recipes: wiki/index.php/Table_of_Contents#Recipe ... diet_plans

I would suggest checking out our How to go vegan page, that explains all the major important stuff you ought to know when starting being vegan.
guitararvin wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:09 am Aside from B-12, what nutrients are missing from a vegan diet and how can they be obtained? I'm talking about even small ones liek creatine, choline etc.
B-12, like you mentioned, is one of them. The best form of B-12 is cyanocobalamin (as opposed to methylcobalamin), as cyanocobalamin is the most stable form, and the body breaks it down in the two active forms that it needs: methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.
Recommendations are: 1000 mcg of cyanocobalamin B-12 twice per week, OR 25-100 mcg of cyanocobalamin B-12 everyday.
If you want to read more about it: wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern#B12

Vitamin D is another one. Unlike B-12, where everybody should supplement it but vegans must supplement it, everybody should supplement vitamin D, especially if you don't spend a big amount of time outside, or if you live in a place of high/low latitude.
The recommended dose is 2000 IU / daily, which is a safe amount, as lower doses seem to be insufficient for keeping optimal levels long-term.
If you want to read more about it: wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern#Vitamin_D

Iodine is another one, that is a concern for everybody, but only if you do not use iodized salt - in which case, 150 mcg of iodine / daily is advised (preferably from potassium iodide).
NOTE: sea salt does not have iodine, as iodine is a halogen gas, so when sea salt is made by evaporating salt water, the iodine evaporates too. That's why you need either an iodine supplement, or iodized salt specifically.
You can also get iodine through eating seaweed, but it's more complicated, as some seaweeds have too much iodine, and you would have to eat seaweed consistently - so, a supplement or iodized salt is just more convenient.
If you want to read more about it: wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern#Iodine

Long chain omega-3 is another one you might want to supplement, depending. Since it's quite long to explain, I'll just leave you the link to the section where you can read about it: wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern#Ome ... PA_.26_DHA

Selenium is worth supplementing only if you live in certain regions of the world, where the earth is specifically selenium-poor: wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern#Selenium

For the nutrients you mentioned, creatine is made in the liver, kidneys and pancreas, so there is no need to supplement, and choline is found plenty of in a vegan diet.

I would suggest skimming through the entire page, everything is science-based with plenty of references, and it's a good read if you're curious about different nutrients: wiki/index.php/Nutrients_of_Concern

Personally, I take vitamin D, iodine, and DHA+EPA everyday, plus B-12 twice a week. You may also be able to find a multivitamin that has all of these in good amounts.
guitararvin wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:09 am Is potatoes, Tofu, and Kale the perfect beans greens, and grains meal? Pototoes are complex carbs with plenty of vitamins and minerals. Tofu is a complete protein, and kale is king.
Tofu is amazing, and kale too. Potatoes are pretty good, but nothing to lose your mind over - if you have enough potassium already, they are very mediocre (sweet potatoes are better since they're rich in vitamin A, but they're usually quite expensive).
'Perfect meal' is a term that can lead you astray, as diversification of good foods is what makes the diet successful, rather than repeating the same foods you can count on one hand.

Here is an example of a 1-week vegan diet plan, based on 2000 kcal, that meets the RDA of everything: wiki/index.php/Vegan_diet_plan (this can give a good idea of what to do with your diet, and the proportions of the various foods)
Paired with our 'How to go vegan' page (wiki/index.php/How_to_go_vegan), it should give you a good enough idea of what to do and what to eat.

Fiber-rich foods are something you might want to be careful of when you just start going whole foods, as too much fiber too fast can make you bloated and be in discomfort. Your gut bacteria adjusts to it over time, so if you have problems with high fiber, consider slowly switching to whole foods rather than doing a 180.

We also have sections talking about stuff like the best staples to eat: wiki/index.php/Common_Whole-food_Staples (sorted by the nutrients that are hardest to get)

Going through the Wiki will likely be able to answer your questions in-depth, but if you need more advice feel free to ask.
Last edited by thebestofenergy on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Red wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22 pm Black and kidney beans are the best, and also lentils. Keep tofu of course, it's very versatile, and even get some hummus (good with bell peppers and carrots).
Black beans are great, but not the best.
Kidney beans are really nothing special, probably the worst among beans - this is according to their nutrition profile (poor mineral and vitamin levels compared to other better staples), and what you're likely to need more of on a vegan diet and what you ought to expect from a staple food.
Tofu is much better than either.

The best legumes are soy and soy-derived things (tofu, soybeans, edamame), green peas and lentils, followed by others like Great Northern Beans, fava beans, and green beans.

Of course, any bean is good, especially when compared to most other processed alternatives.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

?

Is a nutrient in particular concerning you? You can find everything about the ones mentioned in the article in the Wiki sections linked above, discussing the science and providing studies regarding them. Not sure if you're linking the article as a question or not, because I already answered for the most part in my comment, and if you have anything specific you can ask.
foliveira4042
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by foliveira4042 »

I'm also looking into this as I'm still searching how to best transition from meat eating to veganism without compromising my health. I found these two articles on the topic which complement what other have already shared above.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... et-for-you
https://cerebra-nootropics.com/vegan-nootropics-guide/

The first one has an interesting condensed list of replacement foods for both vegetarians and vegans split per nutrients.
Take the second link with a grain of salt has it is a commercial website. But it does add some usefull info on brain supplementation.
Aeden Dsouza
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Aeden Dsouza »

The nutritional deficiencies are most common with vegan diets, apart from B12 there are many other nutrients vegans lack such as Calcium, Zinc, Iron, Vitamin D. Below are some of the informative article that addresses all the major vegan dietary deficiencies and how to get rid of them:

https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/blog/ ... ased-diet/
https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/ ... /nutrients
https://vegansfirst.com/vegan-nutrient-deficiencies/