Does going vegan prevent animals from being killed?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
NickNack
Diet: Vegan

Does going vegan prevent animals from being killed?

Post by NickNack »

In supply and demand, do corporations really change how many animals they kill based on your individual contribution?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Re: Does going vegan prevent animals from being killed?

Post by teo123 »

NickNack wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:53 pm In supply and demand, do corporations really change how many animals they kill based on your individual contribution?
I suppose government subsidies play about as much effect as supply and demand, if not even more.
foliveira4042
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by foliveira4042 »

I'd say it would play a role if a significant chunk of the population adhered to plant based foods. You know, voting with your wallet
Peppesq

Post by Peppesq »

since childhood I felt it was wrong to kill animals, or use them for our food, but accepted the idea that we needed animal products for health, and it was just the whole "circle of life". When l got to research further, I gave up all meat, but the notion of "protein combining" was still a thing, making it harder to know if I was really the right diet. I was on and off again, more because of marriage, kids, social pressures.

I finally gave up animal products. The research abounds that we do not need animal products, of any kind. We need to supplement B12, as most meat eaters do (although not those eating the animals that graze like yours)

I avoid meat mainly for ethical reasons, but try and stay whole food plant based avoiding oils and sugar as that has been proven (to me personally!) as the most healthful diet.
I don't dispute that just being vegan is going to more healthful than eating as you appartently do-there is a wide span of what is healthy and what is not.

I simply find that especially today where most eat too many calories, too much protein, and not enough vitamins from whole foods, and lack exercise, being plant based is the best thing to do. I see the only realistic future containing the kinds of animal farming you do to be used in small portions for those who continue to eat meat as the horrific factory farming methods are destroying the planet and peoples health at alarming rates
Graeme M

Post by Graeme M »

One person changing their consumption habits probably doesn't influence corporations, many probably does. Right now with plant-based eating more common, I think there has been an effect, but it's hard to say if any individual vegan is really having any measurable influence. In any case, if animal death tolls matter to you, plant-based eating results in trillions of animal deaths so it's probably not the best measure.