Do coconuts cause heart disease?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Do coconuts cause heart disease?

Post by teo123 »

On the other forum, I got into a discussion whether coconuts cause heart disease: https://atheistforums.org/thread-64001.html

To me it seems obvious it is reasonable to believe they do. While the lauric acid in them does indeed raise HDL, there is little reason to believe HDL protects against heart disease, much less that it protects so much that it counter-acts the increase in LDL that coconuts do. Nevertheless, people on that forum seem to be convinced it is not reasonable to believe coconuts cause heart disease. What do you think?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Re: Do coconuts cause heart disease?

Post by teo123 »

What, nobody has thought about that here?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Also, what do you guys think, does salt in the amounts it is commonly eaten today cause heart attacks? I have seen some statistic that 41% of heart attack patients have low blood pressure, which would suggest we are actually eating too little salt (which increases blood pressure).

What do you guys think, do sesame seeds cause heart disease because of all the methionine (the only amino-acid that raises your cholesterol levels) in it?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

People here do not seem to be very interested in nutritional science, am I right?