Vegan chocolates

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Dream Sphere
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegan chocolates

Post by Dream Sphere »

Red wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:12 pm On the subject of chocolate, I just like plain cocoa powder. Easy to make hot chocolates, goes good in tea and smoothies (oatmeal even if you do it right), as well as a useful ingredient for many things. Nutritious too.
I remember about four or so years ago I was wanting to make my own vegan chocolate milk with super-low-cal sweeteners rather than the storebought chocolate soy milk which iirc uses cane-sugar or something like that.

Never actually got/found a low-cal sweetener I liked, but I actually didn’t mind adding cocoa powder to just unsweetened soy milk and having that, though contrary to my initial health goals in reducing sugar consumption I would often eat an apple or two along with the unsweetened chocolate soy milk as a kind of contrast to the fairly bitter drink. It was actually an enjoyable contrast, but idk if I’d recommend it as my tastes can be kinda weird, like years ago I got into eating a bit of raw red onion or raw tomato as a snack all by itself, lol, and also got into drinking no-salt tomato juice which I think most people would really dislike just drinking by itself.

Anyways, one question I have is, do you get “Dutched” cocoa powder or otherwise? I can’t remember the exact difference but I think Dutched is often smoother and I imagine less grainy/coarse, so that type would probably work better for being added to drinks. Though I imagine there could be upsides and downsides to both types of cocoa powder.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm I remember about four or so years ago I was wanting to make my own vegan chocolate milk with super-low-cal sweeteners rather than the storebought chocolate soy milk which iirc uses cane-sugar or something like that.
I've actually wanted to try Silk's Chocolate Soy Milk since that has the most amount of Protein out of all of their soy milks, but it has a pretty hefty amount of Sugar (15 g) and also I hear they changed the formula so it's not as tasty.
Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pmNever actually got/found a low-cal sweetener I liked,
Have you tried erythritol? I think that's the closest you can get to sugar, although it's hard to find them in supermarkets, and they can be a bit expensive.

Stevia is also pretty good too, and much cheaper and available, although it has a bit of a 'diet' taste.
Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm but I actually didn’t mind adding cocoa powder to just unsweetened soy milk and having that, though contrary to my initial health goals in reducing sugar consumption I would often eat an apple or two along with the unsweetened chocolate soy milk as a kind of contrast to the fairly bitter drink.
A little extra unrefined sugar isn't that harmful, just make sure it isn't displacing other healthier meals.
Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm It was actually an enjoyable contrast, but idk if I’d recommend it as my tastes can be kinda weird, like years ago I got into eating a bit of raw red onion or raw tomato as a snack all by itself, lol, and also got into drinking no-salt tomato juice which I think most people would really dislike just drinking by itself.
The no salt tomato juice is good in veggie smoothies too, helps blend the flavors together. I don't think there is any harm in drinking it by itself though!
Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm, one question I have is, do you get “Dutched” cocoa powder or otherwise? I can’t remember the exact difference but I think Dutched is often smoother and I imagine less grainy/coarse, so that type would probably work better for being added to drinks. Though I imagine there could be upsides and downsides to both types of cocoa powder.
I just get standard cocoa powder. I think Dutch is a bit too dark for me.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

chocolatea wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 am What's the taste when it is plain?
Just bitterness, mainly. And a bit of an oily taste on top.

It's not very palatable on its own, it's an acquired taste.
But that's why it's an ingredient that would be a good addition to other recipes.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Red wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:04 pm
Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pmNever actually got/found a low-cal sweetener I liked,
Have you tried erythritol? I think that's the closest you can get to sugar, although it's hard to find them in supermarkets, and they can be a bit expensive.
And result in severe gastrointestinal side effects as a laxative. You have to go easy on it. It can make up *part* of a sugar replacement, but probably not a good idea to replace all of the sweetness with it.

Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm, one question I have is, do you get “Dutched” cocoa powder or otherwise? I can’t remember the exact difference but I think Dutched is often smoother and I imagine less grainy/coarse, so that type would probably work better for being added to drinks. Though I imagine there could be upsides and downsides to both types of cocoa powder.
Dutched is more soluble, easier to mix into your drinks without a blender. It has a slightly different taste, otherwise it has lower antioxidants/phytonutrients, but cocoa is so high in phytonutrients that the difference isn't a big deal. I'm more likely to *use* dutched (or partially dutched) because it's easier to use, so I'm more likely to use cocoa with it.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:24 pm And result in severe gastrointestinal side effects as a laxative. You have to go easy on it. It can make up *part* of a sugar replacement, but probably not a good idea to replace all of the sweetness with it.
Oh, I usually only put about half a tablespoon in my tea or coffee (which I only have about a few times a week). Also I want to conserve it since again the price issue. Other than that I use Stevia.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:24 pm
Dutched is more soluble, easier to mix into your drinks without a blender. It has a slightly different taste, otherwise it has lower antioxidants/phytonutrients, but cocoa is so high in phytonutrients that the difference isn't a big deal. I'm more likely to *use* dutched (or partially dutched) because it's easier to use, so I'm more likely to use cocoa with it.
Which Cocoa brands do you get? I used to get Hershey's powder, but now I just get the ones in a bag since I think they might be better for the environment (Navitas is the brand I usually get, but that's cacao not cocoa).
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Peppesq

Post by Peppesq »

I'm eating Celtic Free From Fine Dark Chocolate Bar. It's lovely and creamy and tastes really nice.

I'm also eating (the things one does for research) Dairy Free Buttons. These are a bit sickly, at least I think so, and I prefer milk chocolate.

Both are available at Holland and Barrett.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Oh, that's a good idea. I shall try this.

Thanks!
FredVegrox

Post by FredVegrox »

I don't really get chocolate things anymore like chocolate bars, with using almost exclusively whole foods, but I get chocolate for having hot chocolate for having on cold days. The only stuff I found for having hot chocolate without dairy milk product where I buy food is Chocolate Ibarra.I have stocked up on this, to last a long while with it. Still, where I have been getting it, Chocolate Ibarra has been out of stock there for a long while, since I last got any, and there are no alternatives I find for hot chocolate without those milk products.