Do you eat with meat meaters?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
knot
Master in Training

Do you eat with meat meaters?

Post by knot »

(when they are eating meat)... I did until recently, but then I had a pretty shitty experience that has made me think twice about it.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Do you eat with meat meaters?

Post by EquALLity »

What happened? :(

Anyway, I do. I think it might make meat-eaters think we're snobby/petty, and in turn hurt the movement, to not.

"Pft, vegans won't even eat with us! What does eating with us have to do with animal suffering? Bunch of snobs!"
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I second. What happened?
zeello

Post by zeello »

I think I wouldn't have a problem with it. What's the fun in being vegan if you never get to show it off?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I eat with meat-eaters because many of them are very dear to me.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

EquALLity wrote:What happened? :(
I was at a family birthday party and people were passing a big stack of grilled meats around. We were sitting so close that the meats were basically 1-2cm away from my face at that point, and the stench of burned flesh was really nauseating. Then I also realized the meat juices from the tray had spilled onto my plate -__-
Maybe I'm too sensitive, but the whole thing pissed me off, especially because it was family and I have explained how eating meat is not a personal choice about 1 billion times.
Jebus wrote:This was recently discussed here: http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=7&t=474
ohh ok. When I watch Gary I always feel that taking a really tough stance is the only thing that might help
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's pretty gross. It is important that they be considerate, and most carnists just have no idea.
I would say: Don't eat with those people, but don't fear eating with others in general, because not everybody is that bad and disrespectful.
ChipDipSM

Post by ChipDipSM »

At this point I still do, because everyone I eat around is mostly respectful of my decision and don't tease me with meat. But it doesn't take a lot to push me a little,, so I can't say anything for the future. I do know that when I get my own place I will not allow meat stuff in my home.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. -The Lorax