2020 Climate Change Good News

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
zoey
Diet: Vegan

Re: 2020 Climate Change Good News

Post by zoey »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:44 pm A new article I wrote today about climate change and social norms

https://foxesinchile.wordpress.com/2021 ... -contract/
Neat article! I think social pressure works when critical mass is reached. I once heard someone arguing that weddings funded via slush funds need to be socially boycotted. That is when a dent might be made in bribe taking and giving.
Parallelly children must be encouraged to develop a personal code of ethics from childhood. It might sound grand, but there is no harm in experimenting.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Critical mass can happen, we saw that after the George Floyd murder and with the New York times report on Harvey Weinstein. Both had an affect on increasing the amount of pro-racial equality and feminist activism and making it more mainstream. What was at one moment the type of thing that only a minority of liberal intellectuals and minority groups would say was suddenly a careening bandwagon that everyone was trying to attach themselves to.

On the other hand though, these things do steadily develop. So it might not yet be mainstream today to feel guilt for taking a long haul flight for a holiday, but private jets and business class maybe.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Here is my latest blog on a carbon fee.
https://foxesinchile.wordpress.com/2021 ... -solution/

If you agree, please tell a friend and a politician.