Owning cats is not vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Owning cats is not vegan

Post by Red »

NonZeroSum wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:04 am This exchange induced a chuckle in this lurker who likes to check back in every now and again at least :D
Part of the job mate. Good to see you're still with us.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:12 am
teo123 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:29 am So, @Red, what do you think about @Kaz1983's claim that rabbits can and do love their owners?
Teo, how bored are you that you necro a four year old thread just to bring up a topic that I can barely fucking remember in order to pester me and ask me some dumbass question about some guy that isn't active on the forum anymore just to rope me into a debate on something you are not going to change your mind on even if we have a 20 page long debate on it?
According to Wikipedia it is possible for Rabbits to bond with their owners, so that's that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_ ... prov=sfla1
I am not going to argue this with you. Accept that conclusion or not and frankly I do not give a shit either way. End of story.

Teo, you need to find a job, or at least something useful and fulfilling to fill your time with. Constantly trying to bait arguments on a largely inactive forum isn't going to give you purpose and meaning.
Why did you spell "rabbits" with a capital 'r'?
And, no, I don't accept that conclusion. I don't accept that some non-human animal can feel love, when even I can't feel love. What is love? Have you ever felt it? I haven't, and I have a hard time imagining that some non-human animal can feel such a complicated emotion. Especially that a stupid prey animal such as a rabbit can somehow love its natural predator that a human being is.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Against my better judgement I will respond, mainly for the funny.
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 am Why did you spell "rabbits" with a capital 'r'?
does it really Fucking matter?
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 amAnd, no, I don't accept that conclusion. I don't accept that some non-human animal can feel love, when even I can't feel love.
Well that just kinda sounds like a you problem.
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 amWhat is love?
Baby don't hurt me.

Don't hurt me.

No more.
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 amHave you ever felt it?
Yes, many times, all to varying degrees.
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 am I haven't, and I have a hard time imagining that some non-human animal can feel such a complicated emotion.
O.K.
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:30 amEspecially that a stupid prey animal such as a rabbit can somehow love its natural predator that a human being is.
Maybe you're just incapable of a basic animal emotion.

Teo even though you've abandoned your crazy ideas you're still the same person you were since the day you joined. You always deny science when it conveniently goes against what you really want, because it doesn't make you feel good. Sure, that's a common behavior for most people, but you do it in such a way that 99% of people would never, since there are points when it's impossible to deny reality, yet you never have any problem doing that.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote:You always deny science
Claiming that non-human animals don't feel pain (and many people claim that) would be denying science. But I fail to see how denying that rabbits can love humans would be denying science. How do you know what scientists think animals feel? The Cambridge Declaration of Consciousness states, implicitly, that birds, mammals, and perhaps octopuses can feel pain, but it says nothing about whether they can love humans.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:01 pm Claiming that non-human animals don't feel pain (and many people claim that) would be denying science. But I fail to see how denying that rabbits can love humans would be denying science. How do you know what scientists think animals feel? The Cambridge Declaration of Consciousness states, implicitly, that birds, mammals, and perhaps octopuses can feel pain, but it says nothing about whether they can love humans.
Probably because consciousness is not contingent on whether or not a species is able to specifically love a human being.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:35 pm
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:01 pm Claiming that non-human animals don't feel pain (and many people claim that) would be denying science. But I fail to see how denying that rabbits can love humans would be denying science. How do you know what scientists think animals feel? The Cambridge Declaration of Consciousness states, implicitly, that birds, mammals, and perhaps octopuses can feel pain, but it says nothing about whether they can love humans.
Probably because consciousness is not contingent on whether or not a species is able to specifically love a human being.
But how do you know whether most scientists in the field believe that rabbits can love their owners?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:27 pm But how do you know whether most scientists in the field believe that rabbits can love their owners?
Because if you bother to google it you'll find sources saying that yes, they do bond with their owners, and very little in the way of what you're saying. If you want to hunt down the consensus be my guest, since I don't really care. I told you I wouldn't argue this anyway.

Forget the rabbits Teo, why do you feel as though you can't fell love, hm? It could be because of your alienating personality that you need to overcome. You should try going out and meeting people, since at this rate you're gonna become another incel online blaming the whole world for your problems.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:06 pm
teo123 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:27 pm But how do you know whether most scientists in the field believe that rabbits can love their owners?
Because if you bother to google it you'll find sources saying that yes, they do bond with their owners, and very little in the way of what you're saying. If you want to hunt down the consensus be my guest, since I don't really care. I told you I wouldn't argue this anyway.

Forget the rabbits Teo, why do you feel as though you can't fell love, hm? It could be because of your alienating personality that you need to overcome. You should try going out and meeting people, since at this rate you're gonna become another incel online blaming the whole world for your problems.
And, yet, there are countless people on r/Rabbit who just got a rabbit saying stuff like "How do I get my rabbit to like me?" and "My rabbit doesn't like me at all.", so much so that they had to put that into FAQ.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:22 am And, yet, there are countless people on r/Rabbit who just got a rabbit saying stuff like "How do I get my rabbit to like me?" and "My rabbit doesn't like me at all.", so much so that they had to put that into FAQ.
Doesn't the fact that they put it in the FAQ show that yes it is possible to have your rabbit love you?
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:23 am
teo123 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:22 am And, yet, there are countless people on r/Rabbit who just got a rabbit saying stuff like "How do I get my rabbit to like me?" and "My rabbit doesn't like me at all.", so much so that they had to put that into FAQ.
Doesn't the fact that they put it in the FAQ show that yes it is possible to have your rabbit love you?
How does it suggest that? If anything, it suggests the opposite of that.