Why it is wrong for humans to breed

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Why it is wrong for humans to breed

Post by Red »

JReg wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:44 pm
But if you're a philosopher, then you'll be employed by a university, yes? And you'll have access to peer review journal articles that are behind paywalls for the public -yes? So we can perform a very quick and easy test of your claim.
Are you employed by a university?
If Sunflowers is, that would explain a lot.

Disregarding the fact that a lot of Philosophy education is mostly about the history of philosophy rather than actual philosophy, him having a teaching position as a Uni professor, which would require a Philosophy PhD, doesn't really mean that much as a science professor, where having a PhD means you made some actual discovery. Having a PhD in Philosophy more means you're just a historian of Philosophy, not adept at actual Philosophy (which Sunflowers was shown us quite effectively if he actually has some Philosophy degree).

Many "philosophers" are just sophists who make up nebulous bullshit in order to seem intellectual, when in reality it's just a poor, childish attempt at creating a unique worldview, and many of them reject logic. This is one of the reasons why so many intelligent people, especially in the sciences, don't take Philosophy seriously. It is viewed as an institution where anything goes since there are no real rigorous standards on which to base things on (once again, Sunflowers is a great example of this).

I think Sunflowers needs to get off his fucking high-horse, show some humility, stop being lazy and assuming he knows everything about Philosophy so we can have a productive debate. It is difficult to do so when he's both ignorant and arrogant, and treating everyone like intellectual inferiors. If he replaces his conjecture with real arguments, I'd be happy to see that.
Sunflowers wrote:Let's stick with you shall we - are you a philosopher?
JReg asked you a question. Don't answer it with a question he has already answered.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Sunflowers
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Sunflowers »

So, once more, is anyone interested in engaging with the actual arguments of the OP? As opposed, that is, to pretending to be a philosopher when one is not, or huffing and puffing ignorantly about philosophy as a discipline.
Not The Real JReg

Post by Not The Real JReg »

Sunflowers wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:27 pm So, once more, is anyone interested in engaging with the actual arguments of the OP? As opposed, that is, to pretending to be a philosopher when one is not, or huffing and puffing ignorantly about philosophy as a discipline.
Do you have any friends?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

JReg wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:30 pm
Sunflowers wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:27 pm So, once more, is anyone interested in engaging with the actual arguments of the OP? As opposed, that is, to pretending to be a philosopher when one is not, or huffing and puffing ignorantly about philosophy as a discipline.
Do you have any friends?
You may have meant this for humour, but honestly, given his behaviour on this forum, I honestly can't fathom how anyone can put up with this guy in real life for more than 5 minutes.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Sunflowers

Post by Sunflowers »

Do you have any friends?
Do you think that's the kind of thing a philosopher would ask?

I have lots, which is why I don't need to use discussion forums to make new ones.

Look, you're dishonest. You said you were a philosopher, when clearly you are not.

Now, either argue something or go away.
Last edited by Sunflowers on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunflowers

Post by Sunflowers »

Red wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm
Do you have any friends?
You may have meant this for humour, but honestly, given his behaviour on this forum, I honestly can't fathom how anyone can put up with this guy in real life for more than 5 minutes.
By 'my behaviour' you mean just arguing something and not being dishonest?

There's a lot you can't fathom, I imagine.

My advice to you: address the arguments. Don't pretend to be something you're not. Don't post links. Don't assume you know more than others when you don't know who those others are. Just. Address. The. Arguments.
GoldenWatch1809

Post by GoldenWatch1809 »

Sunflowers wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pm Do you think that's the kind of thing a philosopher would ask?
I have quite a few friends who actually care about philosophy. I think they'd consider your philosophical 'ideas' as nothing more than idiotic conjecture.
I have lots,
:lol: That's a good one.

I have the feeling you're the type of person who is so narcissistic that they think everyone is friends with them, but secretly everyone hates you and thinks you're a pompous asshole.
which is why I don't need to use discussion forums to make new ones.
... No one said anything about going to discussion forums to make friends. Although I think making internet friends is your best bet, but still I wouldn't bet on those odds.
Sunflowers wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pmLook, you're dishonest. You said you were a philosopher, when clearly you are not.
Sorry, my projection detector went into overdrive.
Sunflowers wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 pmNow, either argue something or go away.
You haven't really made any arguments outside of conjecture.
MittensTheCat2
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by MittensTheCat2 »

I can't believe what is going on here. @Sunflowers is probably the most intelligent and thought provoking person I've ever seen in my life.

While all you idiots squabble in petty 'philosophical' bullshit, here we have someone trying to go beyond that. Someone with the valor to say what cold hard truth, since everyone else is too much of a coward to say it.

It's clear that Sunflowers's intellect is so massive that you peons can't even begin to comprehend it. You are merely ants compared to this intellectual of our time, and I think we should all give this person our attention and respect. Ask questions, and listen. Hopefully you all will walk away ever so slightly mentally defective than when you began.

You can teach imbeciles, but you can't teach them much. Sunflowers, I have so much respect for you right now for presenting philosophical arguments intelligently and patiently, despite the unfettered idiocy of these people. Don't stop.
Sunflowers

Post by Sunflowers »

MittensTheCat2 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 pm I can't believe what is going on here. @Sunflowers is probably the most intelligent and thought provoking person I've ever seen in my life.

While all you idiots squabble in petty 'philosophical' bullshit, here we have someone trying to go beyond that. Someone with the valor to say what cold hard truth, since everyone else is too much of a coward to say it.

It's clear that Sunflowers's intellect is so massive that you peons can't even begin to comprehend it. You are merely ants compared to this intellectual of our time, and I think we should all give this person our attention and respect. Ask questions, and listen. Hopefully you all will walk away ever so slightly mentally defective than when you began.

You can teach imbeciles, but you can't teach them much. Sunflowers, I have so much respect for you right now for presenting philosophical arguments intelligently and patiently, despite the unfettered idiocy of these people. Don't stop.
Aw, did you not do well at school, Red? Did you fail your examy wamies?

Address the arguments Red.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Sunflowers wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:17 am Aw, did you not do well at school, Red? Did you fail your examy wamies?
Ah, can't trash talk.

You know for someone who claims to be educated in philosophy, you don't seem very good at debating it.

Good, honest philosophers would never think so highly of themselves. How could someone like you, who claims to be an authority on philosophy, forget about Socrates already?
Sunflowers wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:17 amAddress the arguments Red.
I already have in the posts you made to me. I'm waiting for you to respond to mine.
-Leonardo da Vinci