Hi, I'm Vegan

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
yrw.nova
Diet: Vegan

Hi, I'm Vegan

Post by yrw.nova »

I'm a vegan philosophy major, can't believe this is my first time coming across this forum. This is cool!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hi, I'm Vegan

Post by Red »

Hello yrw.nova, welcome to the forum!

What got you into philosophy?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

And what got you into veganism?

Welcome, I hope you like it here!
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Welcome!

It seems like you found the right place.

What are you hoping to do with your philosophy knowledge (occupation wise)?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
GirlieHippie

Post by GirlieHippie »

WAIT! There is a degree specifically on vegan philosophy???
yrw.nova

Post by yrw.nova »

Oh dear, a lot of other stuff came up and I forgot about this until today when I happened to come across this forum again, sorry for the late replies!

Red: I've always been into thinking about the big problems, but I only started pursuing philosophy once I got into my university and looked up what they were good at lol. Before that, I wanted to be an architect or city planner actually, but I found practice wasn't for me, and I was more interested in theory.

brimstoneSalad: I first got into veganism mainly through reading Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari and watching Crash Course Philosophy's video on Non-human Animals, and finally my decision was solidified after watching Dominion and Gary Yourofsky's famous speech.

Jebus: I am currently planning to go to Law School, and after that I'll either go into Academic Legal Philosophy or Corporate Law, still undecided.

GirlieHippie: I wish! but unfortunately that's not my major, I meant that I am a philosophy major who is also vegan. My school does have an Animal Studies MA program though that is done through a bioethics lens rather than an animal ag (eww) or research lens!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

yrw.nova wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:47 pmwatching Crash Course Philosophy's video on Non-human Animals
That was a great video, very impartial and informative. I wonder how many people that one has brought to the greener side.

Are you going into law for animal advocacy in part, or more to make a lot of money to donate?
yrw.nova

Post by yrw.nova »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:14 pm
yrw.nova wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:47 pmwatching Crash Course Philosophy's video on Non-human Animals
That was a great video, very impartial and informative. I wonder how many people that one has brought to the greener side.

Are you going into law for animal advocacy in part, or more to make a lot of money to donate?
Yeah, it really got my old self questioning his life!

I'm definitely interested in doing animal advocacy, and if I were to go into academia I would like to follow in the footsteps of Gary Francione for example. If I were to go into corporate law, I would definitely seek to "FIRE" (reach Financial Independence, Retire Early) through investments, so I would be earning to give in addition to doing animal advocacy pro bono on the side. Who knows, maybe if I go that route, I could teach animal law as an adjunct on the side (or get a PhD in philosophy?) after retiring without worrying about the grueling process of getting tenure. I'm only in my sophomore year of undergrad as of now though, so I'm still finding my way.