What is exactly "personal incredulity fallacy"?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
teo123
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: What is exactly "personal incredulity fallacy"?

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:53 pm-
Sorry, I don't understand what that meme is supposed to mean, yet alone what it is supposed to mean in this context.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:56 pm
Sorry, I don't understand what that meme is supposed to mean, yet alone what it is supposed to mean in this context.
Because you're Italian idiot, therefore you aren't to be trusted.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:57 pm
I still don't understand it. Is there some stereotype of Italians being idiots? I know of a stereotype (and a relatively justified one) that Americans are idiots.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I still don't understand it. Is there some stereotype of Italians being idiots? I know of a stereotype (and a relatively justified one) that Americans are idiots.
See, THIS is a personal incredulity fallacy Teo; You don't understand it therefore it must be false! You're living proof of it FFS.
-Leonardo da Vinci
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Red wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:20 pm
teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm
See, THIS is a personal incredulity fallacy Teo; You don't understand it therefore it must be false! You're living proof of it FFS.
I am not saying it must be false. It can also be that you are presenting some valid idea very badly.
MittensTheCat3
Diet: Freegan

Post by MittensTheCat3 »

Teo!!! You are the smartest person I have ever seen!!! Red is just being facetious, don't listen to him!!!
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

MittensTheCat3 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:43 pm Teo!!! You are the smartest person I have ever seen!!! Red is just being facetious, don't listen to him!!!
Maybe dial down a bit on trolling, too obvious. I don't understand how come people like you and @Not The Real JREG don't get banned, but I have got banned multiple times for expressing honest opinions.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 pm
MittensTheCat3 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:43 pm Teo!!! You are the smartest person I have ever seen!!! Red is just being facetious, don't listen to him!!!
Maybe dial down a bit on trolling, too obvious. I don't understand how come people like you and @Not The Real JREG don't get banned,
Don't think it's fair to assume they're trolling.
teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 pmbut I have got banned multiple times for expressing honest opinions.
:roll: You've been banned for repeating the same mistakes over and over again, and never learning anything. You always derail threads, ignore arguments made to you, and when you do respond to them, you always use fallacious reasoning, and all in all you don't change.

Are you:
A) Willfully ignorant
B) Mentally incompotent
C) Delibrately dishonest
D) All of the above

I'm going with D.
-Leonardo da Vinci
MittensTheCat3
Diet: Freegan

Post by MittensTheCat3 »

No!!!! Teo!!! I am not trolling!!! You are the smartest person not only in Croatia but in all of Europe!!!
PhilRisk

Post by PhilRisk »

Ignoring all the debate, I will put you to the test: @teo123 and attempt to answer part of your question:
teo123 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:48 pm 2) Bombs appear to contradict the second law of thermodynamics, which says that a body can't convert its internal energy into mechanical work. That's what bombs are supposed to do. They receive very little energy that triggers them, and they turn their own internal energy into loads of mechanical work. Therefore, bombs probably don't exist.
This is wrong, but is it personal incredulity fallacy? When I was saying that, I thought it wasn't because "bombs contradict the second law of thermodynamics" is an objective claim, it doesn't talk about my mind but about external world.
Actually, there is the term "appear" in your example. Appearance is something related to a subject. You lost it somewhere in between your example and your analysis. This appearance is probably caused by lack of understanding the second law of thermodynamics and failure to consider obvious evidence, hence an example of personal incredulity.