Hello from an online archivist

Vegans and non-vegans alike are welcome.
Post an intro here first to have your account authenticated by a mod, then you'll be able to post anywhere.
Even if you're here to lurk, please drop a short intro post here to let us know you're not a spammer so you aren't accidentally deleted.

Forum rules
Please read the full Forum Rules
Clay
Diet: Vegan

Hello from an online archivist

Post by Clay »

Hello, I'm a small contributor to an online archive of books and essays called The Ted K Archive.

So, I mainly just wanted to join to discuss the ethics of that, because there's obviously a lot of unethical pitfalls to helping curate an archive based around interest in a serial killer.

Also, I recently archived a book on hunting with a bow and arrow that I think has valuable historical significance, but it did make me feel icky, so wanted to get other vegans opinions.

I'll write a dedicated post on it in a bit. But yeah, hello, nice forum you got here.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hello from an online archivist

Post by Red »

Hi Clay, welcome to the forum.
We usually don't let new users advertise their websites right when they join, however I another user @NonZeroSum is also a fond online archivist, I wonder if you two would get along well. :)

Anyhow, what about the book did you not like? Generally we're against hunting but just view it as a much lesser of the evils compared to consuming traditionally raised meat.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Clay

Re: Hello from an online archivist

Post by Clay »

Red wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:03 pm Hi Clay, welcome to the forum.
We usually don't let new users advertise their websites right when they join, however I another user @NonZeroSum is also a fond online archivist, I wonder if you two would get along well. :)

Anyhow, what about the book did you not like? Generally we're against hunting but just view it as a much lesser of the evils compared to consuming traditionally raised meat.
Hey Red. Yeah we know each other well from the discord for the website, a preview of his book on Ted K is up on the website too.

I think the scale of factory farming compared to hunting makes farming the greater cause of harm to animals. But, some forms of blood sports, like fox hunting and bow hunting are worth drawing people's attention to more often in some cases, e.g. if it's happening in your local area.

The reason I say this is I think it would help people to understand blood sports as a point on the spectrum of intentionality, which would help clarify the intention behind farming to also be a cruel one.

Like, I think it's especially cruel character vice to go out and intentionally kill an animal with a low powered bow and arrow that is likely to cause way more harm to the animal than an explosive bullet.

And then this can be related to animal farming to a degree, in that there is still some cruel intentionality when farmers make the decision to breed animals into the world who have interests to live much longer, and yet they do so anyway.

And then I think the example of hunting with explosive bullets falls on the other side of the spectrum, if you trained at the shooting range and you're an expert shot who never misses, and so the animal lives a fairly happy life in the wild before dying in an instant.